Catalogue ReferenceD/ECH
TitleBuscot Park estate deeds and papers, Buscot, Great Coxwell, Eaton Hastings, Faringdon and other parishes
DescriptionThese deeds should be consulted in conjunction with those listed in D/ELV. The deeds here were transferred to the ownership of later owners of the Buscot Park estate from 1860 onwards, while earlier deeds, no longer required as proof of title, and estate records, remained in the custody of the Loveden/Pryse family. The deeds transferred do include several relating to the Loveden family, including marriage settlements for Edward Loveden Loveden's first two marriages, and there is a fine survey of the estate, c.1804-1811.

Summary

ESTATE RECORDS : survey of Buscot Park estate, c.1804-1811; agreements with tenants, 1821-1860; sale catalogue of estate, 1859; papers re rent-charge due to Edward Loveden's charity, 1909; papers re exchange of property in Buscot, Great Coxwell and Eaton Hastings, 1756-1801; survey and papers re Weston Farm, Buscot, 1798-1845; sale particulars of Eaton Hastings Farm, 1806; estate correspondence and papers, 1897-1914; draft agreement to let Shellingford schoolhouse, 1903; letters re deeds of Yew Tree House, Lechlade, Glos, 1904; and access to the Staff, Lechlade, Glos, 1915; miscellaneous, 1870-1889.

FAMILY PAPERS : financial papers of Campbell family of Australia and Buscot Park, 1852-1864; copy grant of probate of Margaret Campbell of Sydney, New South Wales, 1867; copy grant of administration of Pryse Loveden of Gogerddan, co Cardigan, 1855; bond for payment of £5,000 to Sir Alexander Henderson, 1906.

OFFICIAL RECORDS : Thames Navigation Commission : printed bye laws re flashing of water, 1842.

MAPS AND PLANS : plans of Buscot Park estate, 1860; Weston Farm and old estate, Buscot, n.d.[1849-60]; and Mile House Farm, Eaton Hastings, n.d.[1849-60].

TITLE DEEDS : Buscot Park estate, 1850-1949; various parts of the same in the parishes of Baulking, 1804, Buscot, 1691-1949, Coleshill, 1860-1871, Great Coxwell, 1752-1932, Eaton Hastings, 1669-1933, Faringdon, 1752-1933, Sotwell, 1792, Stanford-in-the-Vale, 1793-1804, Lechlade, Glos, 1798-1851, Pitchcomb, Glos, 1780, Kelmscott, Oxon, 1734-1914, and Inglesham, Wilts, 1780-1871; property of Edward Loveden Loveden in Derbyshire, Essex, Huntingdonshire, Leicestershire, Middlesex and Northamptonshire, 1785-1805, and in Wales, 1779-1805.

MISCELLANEOUS : copy petition of Assembly of Pennsylvania against taxes (1771), 1775; administration with will annexed of George Goodenough of Buscot, 1905; miscellaneous, 1821-1848.
Date1669-1949
RepositoryBerkshire Record Office (code: GB 005)
LevelFonds
Extent4 vols, 84 bdls, 53 docs
Admin HistoryBuscot Park estate was sold to Australian tycoon Robert Campbell in 1860; for details of his improvements to the estate, see John R Gray, An Industrial Estate in Berkshire (Industrial Archaeology 1970; offprint in BRO library). After Campbell's death, his heirs sold the property to Alexander Henderson, later the 1st Lord Faringdon, in 1889. The estate was sold again in 1949, when the house and grounds were transferred to the ownership of the National Trust. Both Robert Campbell and the Hendersons added outlying properties to consolidate the estate.
AcquisitionDeposited in September 1949 (acc. 174)
Related MaterialRecords in other collections
D/ELV: Buscot Park estate records
D/EX 1813/1: Map of estate, n.d. [1849-1855]
D/EX 2133: Buscot Park estate records, 1890s-1960
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019