Catalogue ReferenceD/ESB
TitleDeeds and documents of clients of Messrs Darvill, Last and Goodford of Windsor, and T. W. Stuchbery & Son (later Stuchbery Stone) of Windsor, solicitors
DescriptionSummary

BUSINESS RECORDS : Will books, c. 1896-1972 (incomplete); wills and probate records of various clients, 1728-1941; marriage and family settlements, 1813-1874 ; papers of Bedborough family, 1849-1867; various business partnership deeds and papers, 1820-1897; papers of Goodford family, 1902-1940; papers of S E Gwyer, 1901-1911; Eton housemaster's accounts, 1931-1933; miscellaneous clients' papers, 1804-1936.

MAPS AND PLANS : OS map showing Brook Farm and Anavon, Winkfield, 1912.

ECCLESIASTICAL AND CHARITY RECORDS : records of trustees of Windsor Independent Chapel, 1832-1930; papers relating to Windsor British Schools, 1841-1915.

TITLE DEEDS : goods at Lower Farm, Arborfield, 1853; property at Ascot Heath, 1845-1892; property in Binfield, 1719-1797; Oakley Green estate, Bray, 1667-1881; miscellaneous property in Bray, 1673-1901; property in Cookham, 1788-1862; Wild Court and estate, Hampstead Norreys and Yattendon, 1797; property at Littlewick Green, 1713-1829; property in Maidenhead, 1712-1928; a cottage and land in Sunninghill, 1822-1933; the Presbyterian meeting house, Wantage, 1704-1793; property in Warfield, 1707-1851; property in Windsor and Clewer, 1668-1959; property in Old Windsor, 1788-1872; property in Winkfield, 1638-1893; a messuage in Bedford, Bedfordshire, 1842; property in Burnham, Buckinghamshire, 1740-1774; houses in Eton, Buckinghamshire, 1853-1854; property in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, 1760-1861; property in Great Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, 1832-1909; messuages in Harting and Basingstoke, Hampshire, 1739-1783; property in Holloway, Middlesex, 1876; property in St Marylebone, Middlesex, 1764-1862; land in Northleigh, Oxfordshire, 1756.

MISCELLANEOUS : letter from Patrick Douglass to James Okley of Woolwich, 1767; deed of covenant for use of Windsor Park by Royal Agricultural Show, 1851.
Date1638-1972
RepositoryBerkshire Record Office (code: GB 005)
LevelFonds
Extent14 vols, 216 bdls, 207 docs
Admin HistoryThis collection of clients' papers came from the offices of Messrs T W Stuchbery & Son (now Stuchbery Stone) of Maidenhead and Windsor, solicitors. The archival provenance of all but the final accession appears to be from a succession of Windsor firms started in the mid 19th century by Henry Darvill, and terminating in Last & Goodford c.1939.

Evidence from local directories, and from documents within the collection, indicates a rough chronology as follows :

c.1840-c.1844 Henry Darvill (or Darvill & Co), 5 Pilgrim Place, Peascod St, Windsor
c.1847-c.1849 Darvill & Geary, same address
c.1854 Henry Darvill, same address
[Henry Geary in sole practice at 4 Albert Terrace, Kings Road, Windsor, c.1854-c.1869]
1863 Darvill & Poulton
c.1863-c.1868 Darvill, Son & Poulton, William Street, Windsor
c.1869-c.1883 Darvill, Darvill & Last, same address [Charles John Last previously in sole practice at Park Street, Windsor, c.1854-c.1863]
c.1887-c.1895 Darvill & Last, William Street, Windsor
c.1899-c.1915 Last & Goodford, same address
c.1920-c.1939 Last & Goodford, 12 Sheet Street, Windsor

In 1939 the offices at 12 Sheet Street were also the home of the county court offices, partner Frank Goodford being registrar and high sheriff.

The firm is not recorded in postwar directories; a 1947 Windsor directory showed the premises occupied solely by the county court, with Benjamin Chilton as registrar and high bailiff.

The collection consists of papers of clients (mostly wills with some settlements) and a considerable number of deeds for Windsor and the surrounding area. Of most interest are the trustees' records of Windsor Independent Chapel, 1832-1930. Founding partner Henry Darvill was a church member, and his son and successor Henry Darvill junior was baptised at the chapel in 1836.#

Documents from acc. 9702 seem to come from the firm of T W Stuchbery & Sons of Maidenhead and Windsor, which appears to have taken over Last & Goodford at some point. It is listed in directories and Yellow Pages of various dates:

c.1895 Thomas W. Stuchbery, 50 High Street, Maidenhead
c. 1899 Thomas W. Stuchbery, 3 Queen Street, Maidenhead
c.1903-c.1911 Thomas W. Stuchbery, 5 Queen Street, Maidenhead
c.1915 T. W. Stuchbery, 1 Park Street, Maidenhead
c.1920-c.1924 T. W. and W. O. C. Stuchbery, 1 Park Street, Maidenhead
c.1928-c.1931 T. W. Stuchbery, 1 Park Street, Maidenhead
c.1935-c.1939 T. W. Stuchbery & Son, 1 Park Street, Maidenhead, and 15 Park Street, Windsor
c.1950-c.1956 T. W. Stuchbery & Son, 1 Park Street, Maidenhead, and 16 Park Street, Windsor
c.1960-c.1965 T. W. Stuchbery & Son, 1 Park Street, Maidenhead
c.1967 T. W. Stuchbery & Son, 1 Park Street and 31 Broadway, Maidenhead
c.1971-1974 T. W. Stuchbery & Son, 1 Park Street, Maidenhead, and Castle Chambers, 3/9 Sheet Street, Windsor
c.1985 T. W. Stuchbery & Son, 1 Park Street, Maidenhead, 3 Sheet Street, Windsor, and Station Approach, Bourne End
c.1992 Stuchbery Stone, 1 Park Street, Maidenhead, and Russell House, Russell Street, Windsor [and other offices]
c.1998 Stuchbery Stone, Russell House, Russell Street, Windsor

AcquisitionDeposited in May 1966 (acc. 1220); in August 1973 (acc. 1838); in April 1982 (acc. 3046); in January 1998 (acc. 6170); September 2015 (acc. 9702)

Schedule of accessions
Acc. 1220: B7, 13-14, 19, 21-23, 27, 33, 37, 39, 49-50, 52, 53A, 56, 77, 88-89, 96, 100, 106, 112, 120-121, 146, 151, 155A, 179-182 ; P1 ; T1-50, 54-62, 70-161 ; Z 1-2
Acc. 1838: T63-69
Acc. 3046: B1-6, 8-12, 15-18, 20, 24-26, 28-32, 34-36, 38, 40-48, 51, 53, 54-55, 57-76, 78-87, 90-95, 97-99, 101-105, 107-111, 113-119, 122-145, 147-150, 152-178 ; Q1-33
Acc. 6170: T51-53
Acc. 9702: B183-201; T162-199
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019