Catalogue ReferenceD/EWK/B4/6/2/1/1-132
TitleCorrespondence relating to an appeal to save Southcote Manor House, Reading, 1920-1921.
Description(Southcote Manor House was a 15th century moated house with a detached tower. It was bought in 1920 by a contractor with the intention to demolish the whole site. A committee was set up with the support of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings to try and raise enough money to save the house. Willcocks was appointed secretary to the committee. However, the appeal was unsuccessful and the house was demolished in 1921. The file includes part of 'A Tour Round Reading', by W Fletcher and Edmund J Niemann (including section on Southcote Manor House), [1840?]; later correspondence from E T Long asking if there are any remains, 1940; and newspaper articles from the Reading Mercury about the moat, 1964.)
Daten.d. [1840?]-1964
RepositoryBerkshire Record Office (code: GB 005)
LevelFile
Extent1 bdl
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019