Catalogue ReferenceD/EX1327
TitleRecords of the Comrades Club (Reading) Ltd.
Date1925-1974
RepositoryBerkshire Record Office (code: GB 005)
LevelSub-Fonds
Extent25 vols
Admin HistoryThe Comrades Club was a private social club set up for ex-servicemen in the early 1920s. It was affiliated to the United Service Fund, and sometimes also known as the 'Comrades of the Great War'. It was registered as a friendly society, and was a limited company whose shareholders were the club members. Full members had to have served in the armed forces, but 'honorary' [associate] membership was available to those ineligible for full membership. The Club's premises were at 42 Oxford Road, Reading, and it had a licensed bar, games facilities, a subscription library, a 'concert room' with piano; and a shop and top floor flat which were let to tenants. An air rifle range was set up in 1930, and a television set was acquired in 1949. Annual outings were arranged for members, and a Children's Party at Christmas, principally for members' own children.
The day-to-day running of the Club was undertaken by a salaried steward (or occasionally stewardess) who was responsible to the Executive Committee.
AcquisitionDeposited in July 1995 (acc.5648)
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019