Catalogue ReferenceD/EX1625
TitleDeeds, manorial and estate papers of Heywood manor and estate, White Waltham, and papers of the Sawyer family
DescriptionSummary

TITLE DEEDS: property in Binfield, 1787; Oaks or Noaks Farm and land in Shottesbrooke, 1646-1662, 1772-1790, 1865-1876; Heywood manor, White Waltham rectory and other property in White Waltham, 1551-1830, 1865-1876; messuage and land in Warfield, 1731; unidentified property, 1808, 1837; Middlesex, 1745.

MANORIAL RECORDS: Heywood manor court rolls, 1564-1604, 1624-1639, 1654-1803; court book, 1624-1636; custumal, n.d.[c.1624-1636]; copies of court roll, 1646-1788, 1806; jury presentments and lists, 1654-1684; steward's accounts, 1836-1840, 1861-1863, 1916; papers re enfranchisement, 1787, 1894-1902; miscellaneous, 1799, 1875.

ESTATE PAPERS: papers re purchase and sale of tithes, 1753, 1774-1775; particulars and valuation of Heywood Farm, 1863; correspondence, 1875-1902; bills for repairs and renovations to Heywood Lodge, 1900; plan from sale catalogue of property in Tilehurst, 1895; miscellaneous, 1610, 1805-1811, 1829, 1844, 1895-1907.

FAMILY AND PERSONAL PAPERS: bond re marriage settlement of William Payn and Harriet Morland, 1818; sheriff's quietus, 1820; papers re winding-up estate of William Genery, 1806-1823; papers on rebuilding Maidenhead Chapel, 1822-1827; appointment of high steward of Maidenhead Borough, 1836; accounts of executors of James Payn, 1859; mortgage of Berkshire county rates, 1857.

MISCELLANEOUS: White Waltham overseers' accounts, 1783-1785, and list of charitable donations, 1631-1763; Act for building bridge over Thames near Maidenhead, 1823; bill for repairing road leading to Maidenhead Bridge, 1826; Oxford Diocesan commission in re the Revd Richard Temple West, 1858.
Date1551-1916
RepositoryBerkshire Record Office (code: GB 005)
LevelFonds
Extent2 vols, 38 bdls, 54 rolls, 23 docs
Admin HistoryHeywood manor in White Waltham was held in the Middle Ages by the abbey of Waltham Holy Cross, Essex.
In 1541 it was granted by the Crown to John Norreys of Fyfield, Usher of the Black Rod (d.1577), in whose family it remained until 1612 when it passed to the Earl of Kellie, husband of Elizabeth Norreys. In 1623 the Earl sold Heywood to Sir Edmund Sawyer (d.1676), in whose family the manor and estate remained.
[Please see paper catalogue in searchroom for a summary pedigree of the Sawyer family.]
AcquisitionDeposited in October 2000 (acc. 6629)
Related MaterialRecords in other collections

Heywood Manor
D/ER/T94 Title deed, 1622
D/ETH/M8-9 Court rolls, 1805-1872
D/ETH/M10-12 Court books, 1742-1936
D/ETH/M13-14 Court minutes, 1855-1875
D/ETH/M16 Quit rental, 1874-[1936?]
D/ETH/M17 Papers re Sir Edmund Sawyer's petition concerning the manorial rights of Heywood as a manor within Windsor Forest, c.1633
[Court Rolls, c.1269-1271 are held at The National Archives.]

Maidenhead Chapel
M/AP1-6 Records of Maidenhead Chapel, c.1775-1827
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019