Catalogue ReferenceD/EX1675
TitleRecords of the Community of St John Baptist, Clewer
DescriptionSummary

CONVENT: Chapter minutes, 1890-2001; indexes of Chapter minutes, 1873-1992; Consultative Council minutes, 1911-1991; index of Consultative Council minutes, 1948-1990; Council of Finance minutes, 1870-1947; Land Trust solicitor's bill book, 1903-1917; Money Trust solicitor's bill books, 1903-1916, and accounts, 1925-1961; Land and Money Trust articles of association, 1906, annual statements of accounts, 1907, 1920/1-1954/5, agendas and resolutions, 1910-1951, annual reports, 1914/5, 1924/5, and miscellaneous, 1906-1940; Clewer Trustee Ltd articles of association, 1953, minutes, 1985-2004, and financial statements, 1993-2004; Business Committee minutes, 1893-1948 and correspondence, 1894-1945; minutes of committee appointed to discuss the revision of the Office, 1904-1906; letter book of the same, 1903-1927; Rules, 1850-1967; constitutions, 1874-1992; Clewer Manual, 1874-1888; customaries, c.1870s-1962; Sisters' accounts, 1855-1878; Community Fund accounts, 1872-1947, 1956-1977; Community Fund no 2: accounts, 1883-1977; Clewer Suspense Account accounts, 1918-1955; accounts of Sisters' contributions, 1921-1968; Bursaress's day book or diary, 1886-1909; 'Bursaress's Box' of files on documents relating to trusts, c.1938-1946; regulations of Community Fund and Council of Finance, 1867-1897; finance memorandum book, 1915-1937; agreement with House of Mercy relating to expenses, 1922-1925; details of business organisation of Community, 1945; papers re Fidelity Trust, 1908-1934; General Trust Fund memoranda, 1889-1907; papers relating to gifts by Sisters, 1874-1957; copy deeds, 1852-1889; Convent property file, 1851-1925; chapel property log, 1881-1938; registers of repairs and renewals to property, 1922-1962; papers relating to repairs and building work, 1908-1976; papers relating to transfer of convent from the House of Mercy to the Community, 1924-1925; papers relating to proposed development of the site, 1986-1990; letters to Sisters in India, 1883-1888; general correspondence, 1869-1979; annual summary accounts of daughter houses and works of Community, 1939-1968; files on Albion Cottages, Clewer, 1909-1935, Bell Farm, Clewer, 1907-1948, Chaplain's House, 1929-2000, Clewer Laundry, 1909-1968, Hadspen, Clewer, 1907-1955, Kent House, Clewer, 1945-1973, Knight's Cottage and Field, Clewer, 1923-1957, Melrose, Clarence Road, Clewer, 1903-1955, 1 St Agnes' Villas, Clewer, 1910-1936, St Andrew's Cottages, Clewer, 1869-1959, St Andrew's Lodge (formerly St Andrew's Cottage), 1868-1956, St Augustine's House, Clewer, 1982, St Augustine's Lodge, Clewer, 1962-1985, St John's (later St Anne's) Home, Clewer, 1857-1967, St Michael's House and 13-15 Gerald Villas, Clewer, 1890s-1931, St Stephen's Elementary Schools and St Stephen's High School, Clewer, 1875-1937, Clewer St Stephen's Patronage Trust, 1927-1944, 11-12 St Stephen's Villas, Clewer, 1941-1942, the Warden's Lodge, Clewer, 1917-1954, work with Brigade of Guards families in Clewer and London, 1893-1939, London Mothers' Convalescent Home, Sunningdale, 1928-1941, The Bungalow, Winkfield, 1913-1945, Devon House of Mercy, 1867-1939, Mission House, Bovey Tracey, Devon, 1921-1931, Woodfield, Lustleigh, Devon, 1911-1919, Brockett Hall Cottage, Torquay, Devon, 1968-1981, St Barnabas Home and Lodge, Torquay, Devon, 1908-1967, St Luke's Home, Torquay, Devon, 1954-1959, St Raphael's Home, Torquay, Devon, 1940-1960, the chaplain of the Torquay homes, 1890-1957, Holworth House or Cottage and St Catherine's-by-the-Sea, Warmwell, Dorset, 1890-1944, The Pastures Training Home (formerly the Home of the Good Shepherd) and other property in Leytonstone, Essex, 1888-1950, St Alban's and Chelmsworth House of Mercy, St Mary's Home, Great Maplestead, Essex, 1880s-1943, St Lucy's Home, Gloucester, 1875-1937, Newark House, Hemsted, Gloucestershire, 1882-1912, St Lucy's Hospital for Children of the Poor, Kingsholm, Gloucestershire, 1867-1939, Convalescent Home, Rownhams, Hampshire, 1887-1910, St Stephen's College property, Broadstairs, Kent, 1945-2001, Colebrooke House, Folkestone, Kent, 1915-1939, St Eanswythe's Mission House, Folkestone, Kent, 1879-1941, St Saviour's Mission House, Folkestone, Kent, 1887-1955, St Barnabas' Home of Rest and The Myrtles, Tankerton, Kent, 1913-1939, London Diocesan Penitentiary and House of Mercy, 1881-1940, 72 Gower Street, London, 1916-1927, 48-49 Nelson Square, London, 1920-1923, St Alban's Mission, Holborn, Middlesex, 1937-1955, Stonehouse House of Refuge, Pimlico, London, 1908-1919, St Barnabas' Orphanage, Pimlico, London (later Chislehurst, Kent), 1856-1924, House of Charity, Soho, London, 1860-1941, 9 Rose Street and 36 Soho Square, Soho, London, 1869-1941, St John's Cottage, Marcross, Monmouthshire, 1934-1940, St John's Mission House, Newport, Monmouthshire, 1884-1948, St John's High School, Newport, Monmouthshire, 1914-1947, Mission House of SS Mary and John, Cowley, Oxford, 1903-1929, Oxford Female Penitentiary (later St Mary's Home, Littlemore, Oxfordshire), 1891-1949, St Anne's School, Baltonsborough, Somerset, 1885-1896, Harley Place, Bristol, Somerset, 1947-1948, All Saints Home, Hawley, Surrey, 1886-1952, St John's Home, Bognor Regis, Sussex, 1958-1966, 149-149a North Street, Brighton, Sussex, 1930-1936, Lancing Manor estate and property at Hurstpierpoint, Sussex, 1933-1949, 14 Norfolk Road, Littlehampton, Sussex, 1920-1921, St Michael's Home, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, 1884-1950, Salisbury House of Mercy, Wiltshire, 1888-1946, Orielton Hall estate, Barmouth, Wales, 1904-1919, and miscellaneous, 1880-1989; licences for chapel, 1875-1880; service for admission of Sisters, n.d. [c.1850s]; office books, 1869-1963; special orders of service, 1881-2004; oratory books, 1911-n.d [mid 20C]; Annals, 1849-2006; register of Sisters, (1851)-1999; papers relating to the release of Sisters from their vows, 1871-1972; Sisters' work books, 1879-1993; papers relating to Sisters' graves, 1849-1970; miscellaneous papers relating to Sisters, 19-20C; sketch and photographs of Mother Harriet, n.d. [19C]; papers of Mother Harriet, 1855-1884; Mother Ellen's letter book, 1877-1879; papers relating to elections of Mother Superior, 1952-2004; letters to a novice, n.d. [19C]; Novitiate class book, 1907-1913; Chamberess's memorandum books, 1890-1976; books and pamphlets written by Canon Carter, 1834-1906; in memoriam book for Canon Carter, 1901-1902; books and sermons on Canon Carter, 1901-1912; correspondence and papers of Canon Carter, 19C; papers relating to Wardens, 19-20C; papers relating to the Visitor, 1871-1980; register of Associates, 1873-1956; Rules and manuals for Associates, n.d. [c.1920s-1980s]; Letters to Associates, 1908-2003; manual for Oblates, n.d. [c.1960s]; manuals of Guild of St John Baptist, 1870-1876; magazines, 1882-1907, 2011-2012; leaflets on the Community and its works, 1865-1990s; registers of retreats, 1890-1996; seal matrix, n.d.; register of deeds and documents, 1908-1940; articles on the Community, c. 1883-1989; historical notes, 20C; descriptions of Sisters' travels., 1963-1989; report on joining the Community of Reparation to Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, 1981; photographs and slides, 20C.

HOUSE OF MERCY/ST JOHN'S TRAINING HOME, CLEWER: Council minutes, 1850-1946; Finance (and Building) Committee minutes, 1851-1947; annual reports, 1853/4-1953/4 (incomplete); statutes, 1853-1928; accounts, 1849-1868, 1942-1955; donation and subscription accounts, 1851-1872; annual statements, 1948/9, 1954/5; papers on building works, 1853-1898, 1927-1952; fire assurance policy, 1859; financial papers, 1882-1954; letter book, 1850; domestic directions, 1849; housekeeping accounts, 1851-1859; admission records, 1849-1955; testimonies, c. 1850; religious examination books, 1849-1851; progress books, 1867-1870s, 1893-1918; case papers, 1948-1954; Penitential Rule, 1873; register of Magdalens, 1860-1946; papers relating to Magdalens, 1898-1954; Society of St John the Forerunner Chapter minutes, 1952-1960, and other papers, 1946-1959; religious notes of Mariquita Tennant, 1835-1852; photograph of Mariquita Tennant, n.d. [c.1850s]; sermons of the Revd Robert Tennant, 1844; appeal leaflets, 1850-1857; rules for Sisters, 1851.

EMBROIDERY ROOM, CLEWER: order books, 1878-2006 (incomplete); accounts, 1950-1991; annual statements, 1962-1990/1; design for stole, 1900.

FARM RECORDS, CLEWER: farm accounts, 1884-1903, 1943-1951; poultry and egg records, 1940-1952; herd records, 1952-1956; register of calves, 1952-1956.

ST ANDREW'S CONVALESCENT HOSPITAL, CLEWER: Council minutes, 1865-1950; (Building and) Finance committee minutes, 1865-1945; annual reports, 1868-1950 (incomplete); copy conveyance of site, 1863; statutes, 1867-1923; accounts, 1861-1863 (Invalid Home), 1933-1951; annual statements, 1942-1950 (incomplete); register of patients, Holy Cross Ward, 1936-1939; photographs, n.d. [c.1890s-1930s]; miscellaneous, 1865-1952.

ST ANDREW'S COTTAGE/LODGE, CLEWER: accounts, 1956-1957; annual statements, 1906, 1939-1993; statutes, 1893-1951; sketch plans, 1869; plans, 1980-1989; deeds, 1869; tenancy agreements, 1893-1951; rental, 1922-1954; correspondence, 1892-1926; leaflets, n.d. [c.1890s-1910s]; historical notes, n.d. [c.1980s]; St Andrew's Society miscellanea, n.c. [c.1890s]-1947; miscellaneous, 1869-20C.

ST ANDREW'S COTTAGES, CLEWER: deeds and plans, 1869; tenancy agreements, 1893-1951; rental, 1922-1954; statutes, 1893-1951; correspondence, 1892-1926; miscellaneous, 19-20C.

ST ANNE'S HOUSE (FORMERLY ST JOHN'S GUEST HOUSE), CLEWER: trustees' minutes, 1987-2000; annual statements of accounts, 1939-2000; admission register, 1932-1947; case book, 1947-1967; correspondence, 1987-2000; miscellaneous, 1975-2000.

ST AUGUSTINE'S HOME FOR BOYS, CLEWER: admission registers, 1883-1895, 1906-1921; correspondence, 1886-1937; draft and copy deeds, 1887-1888; site plan, 1921; printed miscellanea, 1880s-1921; memoirs, n.d. [c.1890-1905]; photograph of boys and staff, 1889.

ST JOHN'S HOME FOR GIRLS, CLEWER: annual report, 1931; plans, 1857-1912; miscellaneous property records, 1893-1894; admission registers, 1855-1931; licence for services, 1858; daily routine, c.1914-1916; printed miscellanea, 19-20C

ST STEPHEN'S HIGH SCHOOL, CLEWER: Council minutes, 1924, 1930; annual statement of accounts, 1929; correspondence, 1917, 1924; school magazines, 1902-1934 (incomplete); Guild yearbooks, 1935-1972; Society of the Children of St Stephen magazines, 1895-1896; prospectuses, n.d. [c.1900s-1910s]; Inspector's report, 1931; copy tenancy agreement of boarding house, 1931; history, c.1973.

ST STEPHEN'S MISSION, CLEWER: appointment of new trustee of benefice, 1887; letter relating to endowment of benefice, 1872; correspondence relating to St Stephen's House, 1911-1937; reports, 1870-n.d. [1880s]; copy deed of National Schools, n.d.

WAFER BAKERY, CLEWER: accounts, 1950-1989; annual statements, 1940-1988/9 (incomplete); wafer sale accounts, 1983-1989.

NEALE HOUSE, CAMBRIDGE: annual statements, 1964/5-1974/5; correspondence, 1964-1967.

DEVON HOUSE OF MERCY: admission registers, 1913-1939; annual report, 1881; press cutting, 1907.

ST BARNABAS', ST LUKE'S AND ST RAPHAEL'S HOMES, TORQUAY, DEVON: annual reports, 1944-1957; annual statements, 1939-1958/9 (incomplete); licences for divine service, 1866, 1868, 1903; property papers, 1891-1958; miscellaneous, 1867-1957.

ST MARY'S HOME/ST ALBAN'S AND CHELMSF0RD DIOCESAN HOUSE OF MERCY, GREAT MAPLESTEAD, ESSEX: annual reports, 1881, 1890, 1925-1942; statutes, 1866-1930s; agreement for management by Community, 1929; admission register, 1924-1943; pentitents' maintenance accounts, 1942-1943; photographs, 1920s; miscellaneous, c.1880s-90s.

ST LUCY'S HOME, GLOUCESTER: summary accounts, 1920-1954; admission register, 1869-1927; miscellaneous, 1880-1906.

ST JOHN'S HOUSE, BROADSTAIRS, KENT (LATER BOGNOR REGIS, SUSSEX): draft annual statements, 1950-1965 (incomplete); photographs, n.d. [c.1960s].

ST ANDREW'S CONVALESCENT HOME, FOLKESTONE, KENT: Council minutes, 1881-1940; committee minutes, 1881-1903; annual reports, 1875-1945; statutes, 1882-1933; accounts, 1882-1889, 1903, 1929-1946; subscription and donation accounts, 1933-1940; treasurer's correspondence, 1882-1903; papers relating to endowments, 1889-1955; register of baptisms, 1890-1940; notes on child patients, 1929; staff register, 1937-1940; orders of service for laying cornerstone and dedication of chapel, 1882-1890; property files, 1884-1948; photographs, 1920s-1930s; brochure, 1938.

LONDON DIOCESAN PENITENTIARY, HOUSE OF MERCY, HIGHGATE, LONDON: draft statutes, c.1855; agreement for management by Community, 1901; lease of Park House, 1855; property papers, 1870s-1913; admission registers, 1898-1940; miscellaneous, 1856, 1894-c.1904.

ST ALBAN'S MISSION, HOLBORN, MIDDLESEX: accounts, 1954-1955; draft annual statements, 1939-1953 (incomplete); parish magazines, 1888, 1915.

HOUSE OF CHARITY, SOHO: agreement relating to premises, 1883; miscellaneous, 1874

ST JOHN BAPTIST MISSION, SOHO/THE PASTURES TRAINING HOME AND HOME OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD, LEYTONSTONE, ESSEX: Council minutes, 1885-1940; annual reports, 1888-1940 (incomplete); fee accounts, 1919-1922; annual statement, 1930; plans, 1890-1940; property correspondence, 1901; insurance policy, 1914; admission registers, 1889-1924; applications for admission, c.1922-1942; transfer details, 1942; baptism and birth certificates, 1881-1938; correspondence on individual cases, 1888-1893, 1924-1942; St Anne's Mission School log book, 1865-1871; history of Good Shepherd Home, 1886.

ST BARNABAS' ORPHANAGE, LONDON/CHISLEHURST, KENT: admission registers, 1855-1912; baptism certificates, 1868-1911; correspondence, 1868-1957; miscellaneous, 1917.

ST JOHN BAPTIST'S HOME, NEWPORT, MONMOUTHSHIRE: annual reports, 1924-1935 (incomplete); annual statement, 1938/9; budget papers, 1938-1939; property papers, 1904-1907; admission register, 1913-1939; correspondence relating to admissions, 1922-1940; health register, 1934-1940; Occasional Papers, 1881-1930s; photographs, 20C.; miscellaneous, 1878-1907.

ST BASIL'S HOME, OXFORD: annual reports, 1907-1966 (incomplete); annual statements, 1907-1966 (incomplete); files of residents, 1936-1966; rules, 1890s.

OXFORD FEMALE PENITENTIARY AND HOUSE OF MERCY, HOLYWELL: annual report, 1881; admission register, 1929-1949; correspondence, 1948-1949; leaflet, 1935.

ALL SAINTS' HOME, HAWLEY, SURREY: admission register, 1920-1937; miscellaneous, 1930-1952.

ST MARY'S HOME, SALISBURY, WILTSHIRE: annual statements of accounts, 1960-1970; property correspondence, 1963; historical notes, 1930s-1959; photograph, n.d. [c.1950s-1960s].

INDIA: Chapter minutes, 1935-1940; Province regulations, 1938; Pratt Memorial School photograph album, 1905-1934; St Michael's School, Darjeeling: history, n.d. [c.1960s], and photographs, 1927; Zenana Mission, Calcutta: annual reports, 1895/6-1911/2, and history, n.d. [c.1910s]; register of Sisters in India and Barbados, 1881-1947; rules for confessions, 1884; financial proposals, n.d. [c.1934].

AMERICAN AFFILIATION: copy Chapter minutes, 1876-1949, 1973-1977; constitution, n.d. [c. 1881]; correspondence, 1870-1884; miscellaneous, 19-20C.

MISCELLANEOUS: Windsor and Eton Waterworks Act, 1883; printed miscellanea relating to the Anglo-Catholic movement and other Sisterhoods, 1848-1920.
Date1834-2012
RepositoryBerkshire Record Office (code: GB 005)
LevelFonds
Extent332 vols, 578 bdls, 268 docs, 5 rolls, 2 items 1 box
Admin HistoryThe Community of St John Baptist was established in Clewer in 1852 as an Anglican Religious Community for women, initially to run the House of Mercy established in Clewer in 1849 to rescue 'fallen women'. The House of Mercy was founded in 1849 by Mariquita Tennant, a Spanish-born widow living in Clewer, in her own home, under the supervision of the Revd Thomas Thelusson Carter, rector of Clewer, and a Mr Johnson, a tutor at Eton (and later Principal of Cuddesdon Theological College and Archdeacon of Westminster). Mrs Tennant's health failed, and in 1851 the Sisterhood was formed to take over the House of Mercy under the leadership of Harriet Monsell (Mother Harriet), the first Mother Superior.

The Convent building and adjoining House of Mercy in Hatch Lane, Windsor, were built in the mid 1850s, and added to at various dates, c. 1872-1900. Works undertaken by the Community included Houses of Mercy in other parts of the country; orphanages and children's homes (the inmates of which were not all orphans); hospitals and convalescent homes; and mission work in new urban parishes. In 2001 the Community sold the Convent and House of Mercy (see D/EX 1627/1 for a copy of the sale catalogue (dated 2000)) and moved to new premises at Kidlington, Oxfordshire.

The Convent was governed by a Chapter of the professed Sisters from 1860. This dealt with branch work as well as the profession of novices, withdrawal of Sisters and disciplinary matters. It was subject to the Warden of the Community, a clergyman.

From 1874 the Chapter elected Consultative Council. In 1893 a Business Committee was established (consisting of the directors of the Land and Money Trust which managed the Community's property and finances) to deal with legal and property matters, including oversight of the works of the Community and the Community Fund (for maintenance of the Sisters). In 1948 the organisation of the Community was altered. The Council dealt with general business, including discipline and admission of Sisters, while the Finance Committee replaced the Business Committee and the Council of Finance.

The property of the Community was brought under a single General Trust Fund, of which seven Sisters were trustees, in 1889. The Land Trust was established in 1899 to hold the Community's real estate, and the Money Trust in 1898 to hold personal property, including real estate let to tenants. They were jointly incorporated as a limited company (the Land and Money Trust) in 1906. It appears to have been replaced by Clewer Trustee Ltd in 1953.

In 1981 the Community absorbed the Sisters of the Community of Reparation to Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament (CRJBS). In 1996 the Community welcomed the Sisters of the Companions of Jesus the Good Shepherd to share the convent (see D/EX2398 for the records of the latter community).

The convent was sold and the community moved to Begbroke Priory, Kidlington, Oxfordshire, in 2001; and a further move took place to a purpose-built convent building at Ripon College Cuddesdon, Cuddesdon, Oxfordshire, in 2012.

For a history of the Community, see Valerie Bonham, A Joyous Service: The Clewer Sisters & Their Work (Windsor 1989; revised and enlarged edition Cuddesdon 2012). For a more detailed study of the early years, see Valerie Bonham, A Place in Life: The Clewer House of Mercy, 1849-1883 (Windsor 1992).

Burials in the convent cemetery should be recorded in the Clewer parish registers.

Major works of the Community

Catalogue sections

1/12/1; 2 House of Mercy, Clewer: established 1849. Managed by Community from 1852, with oversight by Council of interested clergy and laymen. 1943 name changed to St John's Training Home. Closed 1954.

1/12/1; 4 St Andrew's Convalescent Hospital, Clewer: work began in a cottage, 1860. Hospital built 1865-1866. Run by its own Council and treasurer, under the Community's Council of Finance. Extended at various dates, 1874-1888. Closed 1939. Premises requisitioned 1940. Formally wound up 1950.

1/12/1; 5 St Andrew's Cottage, Clewer: built c.1868 Almshouse for elderly ladies. Renamed St Andrew's Lodge, 1963. Closed 1983.

23 St Augustine's Home for Boys, Clewer: 1885-1920.

1/12/5 St Michael's House, Clewer: established 1893 to board and train girls as teachers; later used to board young women teachers. 1894 moved to Clewer Road, 1901 to New Road, 1906 to 15 Gerald Villas, Vansittart Road (formerly St Stephen's Mission House).

1/12/1 St Stephen's College, Clewer (later Folkestone, Kent): private boarding school for girls. Established 1874. Moved to Folkestone 1919. Closed 1991.

1/12/6; 6 St Stephen's High School, Clewer: private day and boarding school for girls, established 1882. Closed 1934. St Stephen's Guild (for Old Girls) continued.

1/12/1; 7 Wafer and Embroidery Rooms, Clewer: Church Embroidery Rooms established in Soho, London, 1869. Moved to Clewer 1927. Wafer Bakery closed 1989.

1/12/1; 8 Neale House, Cambridge: student mission and pastoral work, 1964-1976.

1/12/11; 9 Devon House of Mercy, Bovey Tracey: 1863-1940

1/12/12 Mission House, Bovey Tracey, Devon: 1879-1922

1/12/1; 10 Convalescent Homes, Torquay, Devon: St Raphael's (for women) established 1866; St Luke's (for men), 1883; St Barnabas' (for phthisis patients), 1892. All closed 1959.

1/12/15; 11 St Alban's and Chelmsford Diocesan House of Mercy, St Mary's Home, Great Maplestead, Essex: established 1868. Managed by Coummunity 1891-1943.

1/12/16; 12 St Lucy's Home of Charity, Gloucester: children's home and penitentiary; daughter-house of Clewer. Established 1872. Closed 1934.

1/12/18 St Lucy's Hospital for Poor Children, Kingsholm, Gloucestershire: part of St Lucy's Home, but not run by Sisters (except briefly in 1921).

1/12/17 Newark House, Hemsted, Gloucestershire: preventive home for girls. Run by Community, 1883-1912.

1/12/1; 14 St Andrew's Convalescent Home, Folkestone, Kent: established 1875, closed 1940. Building requisitioned, and sold in 1946.

1/12/20 St Eanswythe's Mission, Folkestone, Kent: 1882-1937.

1/12/1, 21 St Saviour's Mission, Folkestone, Kent: 1880-1945.

1/12/23; 15 London Diocesan Penitentiary, House of Mercy, Highgate: established 1853. Run by Community, 1901-1940.

1/12/47 All Hallows Mission, Blackfriars and Southwark, London: 1877-1930.

1/12/47 St Barnabas Mission, Pimlico, London: 1859-1933

1/12/28; 18 St Barnabas Orphanage for Girls, Pimlico, London: established 1855. Run by Community from 1860. Closed 1913. Country branch established at Chislehurst, Kent, 1879.

1/12/27 Stonehouse House of Refuge, Pimlico, London: established 1853. Run by Community, 1869-1919.

1/12/29 House of Charity, Soho, London: emergency housing for unemployed and sick. Established 1846. Run by Community 1862-1940.

17 St John Baptist Mission House and St Anne's Mission School, Soho, London: training home for girls. Established 1861. Moved to take over Home of the Good Shepherd and the Pastures Training Home, Leytonstone, Essex, 1899. Evacuated to Kettering, Leicestershire, 1940. Closed 1942. Premises sold 1948.

1/12/1, 26, 31; 16 St Alban's Mission, Holborn, Middlesex: 1869-195519 St John Baptist's Home, Newport, Monmouthshire: children's home for neglected and abused children. Established 1885 as The Children's Refuge. Closed 1940.

1/12/34 St John Baptist High School, Newport, Monmouthshire: private school for girls, 1901-1939.

1/12/33 St John's Mission, Newport, Monmouthshire: 1876-1940.

1/12/1, 36-37; 21 Oxford Diocesan Penitentiary, St Mary's Home, Littlemore (formerly at Holywell), Oxfordshire: taken over by Community 1860. Moved to Littlemore, 1929.

1/12/1; 20 St Basil's Home For Aged Women, Oxford: established 1891. Run by Magdalens from Oxford Penitentiary. Closed 1966.

1/12/35 Mission House of SS Mary and John, Cowley, Oxford: 1891-1937.

1/12/38 St Anne's School, Baltonsborough, Somerset: private school for girls. Run by Community 1882-1894. Sold 1895.

1/12/1, 39; 22 All Saints Home, Hawley, Surrey: established 1881 as country branch of work in Soho. Later operated independently as home for girls. 1937 changed to become guesthouse for elderly ladies. Closed 1954.

1/12/1, 45 St Mary's Home (House of Mercy), Salisbury, Wiltshire: established 1831. Run by Community 1889-1947.

1/12/1, 44 St Michael's Home (Worcester House of Mercy), Leamington Spa, Warwickshire: established 1855. Run by Community 1884-1950.

Barbados: Work started in 1926 and ceased in 1946. It consisted of parish work and assisting at the Cathedral, with a small Refuge opened in c. 1935.

India: Work started in 1881 with training nurses at the Presidency General Hospital and running the Lady Canning Home for Nurses in Calcutta; they withdrew from this work in 1928. They ran the Medical College Hospital and, Eden Hospital, 1883-1910, all in Calcutta, and Eden Sanatorium, Darjeeling, 1883-1923. They gradually withdrew from the medical work between 1910 and 1928. They taught at Pratt Memorial School, Calcutta, principally for Anglo-Indians with approximately 10% Indians, 1882-1940; the European Orphanage Asylum, from 1886; St Michael's Diocesan School for Domiciled Europeans and Anglo-Indians in Darjeeling, 1895-1948; St Thomas's School, Kidderpore (a suburb of Calcutta), for girls of mixed Indian and European ancestry, 1919-1939; St Peter's School, Baruipur, 1928-1934. In 1891 they took over the Zenana Mission, associated with the Diocese of Calcutta, which included Milman Memorial School, the Lower or Vernacular School for Bengali Christian girls (later St Elizabeth's Middle English School), the Diocesan Mission High School (started in 1894) and the Diocesan College (later part of Calcutta University), 1891-1935. A separate Province of the Community in India existed from 1939, but the Sisters left India in 1946.

United States of America: Work started 1874 in New York as a branch of Clewer. In 1881 it became an Affiliated House of the Community, managing most of its affairs independently, with its own Chapter, Mother Superior and Warden. In the early 20th century the American Community moved to a new convent in New Jersey. Work undertaken included the convent, a girls' school, St Anne's Home for Wayward Girls and St Marguerite's Home for Children, all at Ralston, Mendham, New Jersey; mission work, St Michael's Home for Wayward Girls and St Andrew's Hospital, New York; and a school in Portland, Oregon (closed c. 1942).
AcquisitionDeposited in July 2001 (acc. 6793); in September 2001 (acc. 6828); May 2008 (acc. 8224); February 2011 (acc. 8729); June 2011 (acc. 8804); October 2013 (acc. 9290)

Schedule of accessions
Acc. 6793: 1/3/1; 1/4/1, 3-5, 8-12; 1/5/1-5; 1/7/1-2, 3-26; 1/8/1-2; 1/9/3; 1/10/1-2; 1/12/1; 1/30/1; 2/1/5; 2/2/1-3; 2/5/3-4; 3/1/1; 4/5/2; 5/1/1; 7/1/1; 7/2/1-2; 8/1/1; 12/1/1; 13/1/1; 20/1/2; 20/2/1

Acc. 6828: 1/1/1-3; 1/2/1; 1/3/2; 1/4/2, 6-7, 13-19; 1/5/6-7; 1/6/1; 1/7/2A; 1/9/1-2, 4-5; 1/10/3; 1/11/1; 1/11/2A; 1/12/2-47; 2/1/1-4; 2/3/1; 2/4/1; 2/5/1-2, 5; 2/6/1-5; 2/7/2-4; 2/11/7/1; 3/1/2; 3/2/1-3; 4/1/1-2; 4/2/1-4; 4/3/1-2; 4/4/1-3; 4/5/1, 3-4; 4/6/1; 4/7/1-5; 6/1/1; 6/2/1-3; 6/3/1-2; 6/4/1; 9/1/1; 9/2/1; 10/1/1; 10/2/1-2; 10/3/1-3; 10/4/1-9; 10/5/1-10; 10/5/11/1-11; 10/5/12-14; 11/1/1; 11/2/1-3; 11/3/1; 11/4/1; 11/5/1-2; 12/2/1; 14/1/1-2; 14/2/1-7; 14/3/1; 14/4/1-3; 14/5/1; 14/6/1; 14/7/1-2; 15/1/1-2; 15/2/1-4; 15/3/1-2; 15/4/1-3; 15/5/1-3; 16/1/1-2; 17/1/1; 17/2/1; 17/3/1-2; 17/4/1; 17/5/1-11; 17/6/1; 17/7/1; 18/1/1-3; 18/2/1; 19/1/1; 19/2/1-2; 19/3/1-5; 19/4/1-5; 19/5/1-5; 20/1/1; 20/3/1-2; 21/1/1; 22/1/1; 22/2/1; 23/1/1; 24/1-5

Acc. 8224: 1/2/2; 1/3/3; 1/4/21; 1/6/2, 8, 29-30; 1/9/6-7; 1/10/9, 15, 19; 1/11/29; 1/12/48, 77; 1/13/2-3, 31-32; 1/14/1-3, 7-8; 1/17/3; 1/18/1; 1/19/10; 1/20/3; 1/21/2; 1/22/7, 27, 49; 1/24/6-7; 1/27/1; 1/30/8, 13; 2/1/6; 2/3/2; 2/4/12-15; 2/5/6-7; 2/6/14-15; 2/7/5, 7-8; 2/7/10/5-8; 2/7/11, 13; 2/8/1, 3; 2/9/1-3; 2/10/13; 2/11/2-6; 2/11/7/2; 2/11/27/1; 2/11/28/7; 2/11/29-43; 2/11/49/5; 2/14/1; 2/16/3; 4/2/5-6; 4/7/13; 5/2/1-2; 5/2/4/1, 5; 6/1/2; 6/3/4; 6/4/2-4; 6/5/1-3; 6/6/1-3; 6/7/1-3; 6/8/1; 8/2/2; 14/5/2; 17/6/2; 19/3/6; 19/4/6; 21/2/1-4; 21/3/1; 23/1/2, 4-8; 23/2/3-5; 23/3/1-4; 23/4/1-8; 23/5/1-5; 25/1/1, 4; 25/2/2-3; 25/3/2; 25/4/1-3; 26/3/1; 26/5/1; 27/2/5-6; 27/3/1-2; 27/4/5; 28/2/1; 28/3/1, 3-4; 31/4/1; 32/7/3

Acc. 8729: 1/1/4-5, 7-9; 1/2/3-4; 1/4/20; 1/5/9-12; 1/6/3-4, 6-7, 9-28, 31-33, 35-37; 1/8/3-23, 25-31; 1/9/11; 1/10/4-7, 13-14, 20, 22-23, 26-27; 1/11/2-5, 7-17, 22-23, 26, 28, 30; 1/13/4, 6-7; 1/13/11/6; 1/13/20-21, 23-24; 1/13/25/4; 1/13/30/1-5; 1/13/33-42; 1/14/4-6, 16; 1/15/2-15; 1/17/2, 4-12, 16; 1/18/2-3, 5-9; 1/19/1-4, 6-9, 11-20; 1/20/1-2; 1/21/1; 1/22/1-3, 8-26, 28-43, 45-48, 50-63, 66-71; 1/24/1-5, 9-10, 15-19; 1/25/1; 1/26/1-2; 1/28/2-4, 6-14; 1/30/2-7, 9-12, 14-26; 1/30/27/2-6; 1/30/28/3-4; 1/30/29-34; 2/3/3; 2/4/2, 11; 2/6/6, 9, 13; 2/7/15; 2/8/4; 2/11/8, 12-26; 2/11/27/2-13; 2/11/28/1-6, 8-9; 2/11/44-48; 2/11/49/1-4, 6; 2/11/50-51; 2/12/2-4; 2/13/1, 3-5; 2/14/2-3; 2/15/1/1-4, 6; 2/15/2, 4-5; 2/16/1-2; 4/7/8, 10-11; 5/2/3; 5/2/4/2-4; 5/4/2/1-2; 5/4/4; 6/2/4; 6/3/3; 7/1/3-4, 6, 8-11; 7/3/1; 9/3/1; 10/5/11/12; 10/5/15-18; 12/4/1-3; 13/2/1; 15/1/3; 16/2/1-2; 17/4/7; 17/5/12; 17/7/3; 18/2/2; 18/4/1; 19/5/6; 22/2/2; 24/6-13, 15-16; 26/1/1-2; 26/2/2-3; 26/3/2; 26/4/1-2; 26/5/3-6; 27/1/1; 27/2/1-4, 7; 27/4/2; 27/4/3/2-4; 27/4/4, 6; 28/3/2, 5; 28/4/1; 29/2/1; 30/3/1-3; 31/1/1-2; 31/2/1; 31/3/1-3; 31/4/2; 31/5/1-4; 32/1/1-5, 7; 32/2/1-6; 32/3/1-3; 32/4/2, 4; 32/5/1; 32/6/1-2; 32/7/1-2, 4-9, 11, 13

Acc. 8804: 1/1/6; 1/2/5; 1/5/13-14; 1/6/5, 34; 1/8/24, 32; 1/9/8-10, 12-15; 1/10/8, 10-12, 16-18, 21, 24-25, 28; 1/11/6, 19-21, 24-25, 27; 1/12/49-76; 1/13/1, 5, 8-10; 1/13/11/1-5, 7; 1/13/12-19, 22; 1/13/25/1-3, 5; 1/13/26-29; 1/13/30/6-7; 1/14/9-15; 1/15/1, 16; 1/16/1-11; 1/17/1, 13-15; 1/18/4; 1/19/5, 21; 1/22/4-6, 44, 64-65; 1/23/1, 3-4, 6, 8; 1/24/8, 11-14; 1/28/1, 5; 2/4/3-10; 2/6/7-8, 10-12, 16; 2/7/6, 9; 2/7/10/1-4; 2/7/12, 14; 2/8/2; 2/10/1-12, 14-16; 2/11/1, 9-11; 2/12/1; 2/13/2; 2/14/4; 2/15/1/5, 7; 2/15/3; 4/7/6-7, 9, 14; 5/1/2-4; 5/3/1-3; 5/4/1; 5/4/2/3-4; 5/4/3; 7/1/2, 12; 8/2/1; 10/1/2; 10/4/10; 12/3/1; 13/1/2; 14/3/2-5; 14/4/4-8; 14/8/1-8; 17/4/2-6; 17/5/12; 17/7/2; 17/8/1; 18/1/4-5; 18/3/1; 20/1/3-4; 20/2/2-4; 20/4/1-4; 21/3/2; 23/2/1-2; 24/14; 25/1/2-3; 25/2/1, 4-5; 25/3/1; 26/2/1; 26/5/2; 27/4/1; 27/4/3/1; 28/1/1-2; 29/1/1; 30/1/1; 30/2/1; 32/1/6; 32/4/1, 3; 32/7/10, 12

Acc. 9290: 1/5/8; 1/11/18; 1/23/2, 5, 7; 1/27/2-3; 1/30/27/1; 1/30/28/1-2; 4/7/12
ArrangementArrangement of the catalogue

1. Convent
1/1. Chapter
1/2. Consultative Council
1/3. Council of Finance
1/4. Land and Money Trust
1/5. Committees
1/6. Statutes, Rules and Constitutions
1/7. Accounts
1/8. Bursaress
1/9. Miscellaneous financial records
1/10. Property
1/11. Correspondence
1/12. Convent files on daughter houses, missions and property
1/13. Chapel
1/14. Annals
1/15. Admission and departure of Sisters
1/16. Sisters' work books
1/17. Papers relating to Sisters' graves
1/18. Miscellaneous papers relating to Sisters
1/19. Mother Superior
1/20. Novice mistress and Novitiate
1/21. Chamberess
1/22. Wardens
1/23 Visitor and Visitations
1/24. Associates
1/25. Oblates
1/26. Guild of St John Baptist
1/27. Magazines
1/28. Other publications
1/29. Retreats
1/30. Miscellaneous

2. House of Mercy (St John's Training Home)
2/1. Council
2/2. Building and Finance Committee
2/3. Annual reports
2/4. Statutes, Rules and related papers
2/5. Accounts
2/6. Property
2/7. Other financial records
2/8. Correspondence
2/9. Household management
2/10. Penitents' admission records
2/11. Other records of penitents
2/12. Magdalens
2/13. Society of St John the Forerunner
2/14. Papers of Mariquita Tennant
2/15. Miscellaneous printed material
2/16. Historical notes

3. Farm
3/1. Accounts
3/2. Livestock records

4. St Andrew's Convalescent Hospital, Clewer
4/1. Council
4/2. Annual reports
4/3. Statutes
4/4. Financial records
4/5. Records of patients
4/6. Records of staff
4/7. Miscellaneous
4/8. Property

5. St Andrew's Cottage (later St Andrew's Lodge and Winton House (Abbeyfield Extra Care)), Clewer
[Note: not the same as St Andrew's Cottages, which are almshouses]
5/1. Accounts
5/2. Property
5/3. Printed material
5/4. Miscellaneous

6. St Stephen's High School, Clewer
6/1. Correspondence
6/2. School magazines
6/3. St Stephen's High School Guild (formerly the Society of the Children of St Stephen)
6/4. Miscellaneous printed material
6/5. Minutes
6/6. Property
6/7. Finance
6/8. Miscellaneous
6/9. Society of Children of St Stephen

7. Wafer Bakery and Embroidery Room, Clewer
7/1. Embroidery Room (formerly the Church Workroom, Soho)
7/2. Wafer Bakery
7/3. Combined records

8. Neale House, Cambridge
8/1. Accounts
8/2. Correspondence

9. Devon House of Mercy, Bovey Tracey
9/1. Admission registers
9/2. Accounts
9/3. Miscellaneous

10. St Barnabas', St Luke's and St Raphael's Homes, Torquay, Devon
10/1. Annual reports
10/2. Accounts
10/3. Licences
10/4. Property
10/5. Miscellaneous

11. St Mary's Home, St Alban's and Chelmsford Diocesan House of Mercy, Great Maplestead, Essex
11/1. Annual reports
11/2. Statutes, constituions, etc
11/3. Admission registers
11/4. Accounts
11/5. Miscellaneous

12. St Lucy's Home, Gloucester
12/1. Accounts
12/2. Admission registers
12/3. Property
12/4. Miscellaneous

13. St John's House, Broadstairs, Kent (later Bognor Regis, Sussex)
13/1. Accounts
13/2. Photographs

14. St Andrew's Convalescent Home, Folkestone, Kent
14/1. Council
14/2. Annual reports
14/3. Statutes
14/4. Financial records
14/5. Records of patients
14/6. Records of staff
14/7. Miscellaneous
14/8. Property

15. London Diocesan Penitentiary
15/1. Statutes
15/2. Property
15/3. Finance
15/4. Admission registers
15/5. Miscellaneous

16. St Alban's Mission, Holborn, Middlesex
16/1. Accounts
16/2. Parish magazines

17. St John Baptist Mission Home and St Ann's Mission School, Soho (later the Pastures Training Home and the Home of the Good Shepherd, Leytonstone, Essex)
17/1. Minutes
17/2. Annual reports
17/3. Accounts
17/4. Property
17/5. Admission and other records of children
17/6. Soho parish work
17/7. The Home of the Good Shepherd, Leytonstone, prior to 1899
17/8. Miscellaneous

18. St Barnabas' Orphanage, Pimlico, London (later Chislehurst, Kent)
18/1. Admission and other records of children
18/2. Correspondence
18/3. Property
18/4. Miscellaneous

19. St John Baptist's Home, Newport, Monmouthshire
19/1. Annual reports
19/2. Accounts
19/3. Property
19/4. Admission records
19/5. Miscellaneous

20. St Basil's Home, Oxford
20/1. Annual reports
20/2. Accounts
20/3. Admission records

21. Oxford Female Penitentiary and House of Mercy, Holywell, Oxford
21/1. Annual reports
21/2. Admission records

22. All Saints Home, Hawley, Surrey
22/1. Admission records
22/2. Miscellaneous

23. St Augustine's Home for Boys, Clewer
23/1. Admission records
23/2. Property

24. Records not directly related to the Community

25. St Andrew's Cottages almshouses
25/1. Statutes and rules
25/2. Property
25/3. Correspondence
25/4. Miscellaneous

26. St Anne's House, Clewer (St John's Home Guest House, then in convent)
26/1. Minutes
26/2. Accounts
26/3. Admission records
26/4. Correspondence
26/5. Miscellaneous

27. St John's Home for Girls, Clewer
27/1. Annual reports
27/2. Property
27/3. Admission records
27/4. Miscellaneous

28. St Stephen's Mission, Clewer
28/1. Benefice
28/2. Property
28/3. Printed material
28/4. St Stephen's National Schools

29. House of Charity, Soho, London
29/1. Property
29/2. Miscellaneous

30. St Mary's Home, Salisbury, Wiltshire
30/1. Accounts
30/2. Property
30/3. Miscellaneous

31. India
31/1. Indian Chapter
31/2. Pratt Memorial School, Calcutta
31/3. St Michael's School, Darjeeling
31/4. Zenana Mission, Calcutta
31/5. Miscellaneous

32. American Affiliation
32/1. Chapter minutes
32/2. Constitutions
32/3. Correspondence
32/4. Orders of service
32/5. Associates
32/6. Miscellaneous
Related MaterialRecords in other collections

Architect's plans and drawings for the House of Mercy are held at the RIBA Drawings Collection, Victoria & Albert Museum, London
Photographs of the House of Mercy, 1857 (Victoria & Albert Museum, RIBA LS 36373/1-LS 36373/3)
D/P96/28/149: Film of Commemoration Day at the Convent, 1958-1959.
D/EX2183/1: Memento booklet issued to patients at St Andrew's Convalescent Hospital, Clewer, c.1880s
D/EX1626: Records of St Stephen's College, Clewer (later Folkestone, Kent; Taplow, Buckinghamshire; and Broadstairs, Kent), 1884-1996.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019