Catalogue ReferenceD/EX2018
TitleRecords of the Reading and High Wycombe Building Society and its predecessors
Reading and High Wycombe Building Society
DescriptionFor secretary's bond to carry out his duties, 1890, see Q/RZ 2 p.232.
Date1852-1974
RepositoryBerkshire Record Office (code: GB 005)
LevelFonds
Extent58 vols
Admin HistoryReading and County Permanent Benefit Building Society was established in January 1852, with 29 members. Many of the directors had previously been involved with a similar institution, the Reading Building Association, since c.1843. By the end of the first year, there were 54 members, (39 "investing" or savings members, and 15 borrowing). The Society lent money by mortgages of property in Reading and other towns and villages in Berkshire, Hampshire, Oxfordshire and Surrey, and occasionally further afield.

The Society and directors' meetings were initially held at the Public Rooms in London Street, Reading. From April 1854 to April 1862 the directors met at fellow-director Thomas Rogers' office in Friar Street. From May 1862 all meetings were held at the Society's offices at 22 Market Place. It moved in 1889 to 2 The Forbury, and in 1931 to 25/26 Market Place.

In 1930 the name changed to The Reading Building Society. In 1947 it merged with The High Wycombe and South Bucks Building Society, to form what was renamed the Reading and High Wycombe Building Society in 1948. In 1957 it was taken over by the Bristol & West Building Society. Local affairs were managed by the latter's Berks Bucks & Oxon Board until January 1974.
AcquisitionPresented in February 2007 (acc. 7964)
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019