Catalogue ReferenceD/EX423
TitleRecords of the Thames and Tributaries Power Users' Association
Date1866-1972
RepositoryBerkshire Record Office (code: GB 005)
LevelFonds
Extent4 vols, 23 bdls, 23 files, 7 docs, 1 item
Admin HistoryThe Association was founded in 1922 when a committee was appointed to defend the interests of users of water power in opposition to proposals of the Metropolitan Water Board that contributions to the Thames Conservancy's revenue should be made by millers and others. The Associationalso represented users' interests in 1924, on the terms of the Thames Conservancy Bill. The Association inclued in the area 22 tributaries of the Thames in Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Gloucestershire, Hampshire, Oxfordshire, Surrey and Wiltshire, and also the Kennet and Avon Canal. The members were users of water power including water turbines. Their products included leather goods, blankets, paper and board in addition to corn milling and other industrial processes. Owner of mills converted to use as private dwellings were also eligible if the building still used some water power.

After some years the Association appears to have lapsed, but it was revived in 1942 and continued until 1972 when it was wound up and the remaining funds distributed to the Kennet and Avon Canal Trust and to other associations.
AcquisitionDeposited in 1972 (acc. 1745)
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019