Catalogue ReferenceD/H4
TitleNewbury District Hospital records
DescriptionSummary
ADMINISTRATION : Provisional, General, Site and Executive Committee minutes, 1884; Management Committee minutes, 1885-1907, 1917-1947 ; annual meeting minutes, 1897-1907, 1917-1947 ; annual reports, 1885-1947 (incomplete) ; House Committee minutes, 1885-1905, 1914-1922, 1948-1969; Finance Committee minutes, 1936-1948; cash book, 1943; statements of accounts, 1930-1931; Emergency (later Hospital) Committee (later Board of Management) minutes, 1939-1948 (incomplete); Medical Staff Committee minutes, 1940-1972; Building Commitee minutes, 1946-1947; Nurses Welfare Committee minutes, 1948; various sub-committee minutes, 1884, 1937-1938, 1945; visitors' reports, 1969-1974; Reading and District Hospital Management Committee and sub committee minutes, 1971-1974; Berkshire Area Health Authority minutes, 1973-1975; West Berkshire District Committee minutes, 1974-1977.

MEDICAL RECORDS : registers of patients, 1909-1983 (incomplete); register of military patients, 1916-1917; casualty registers, 1940-1958; day book, 1909-1919; patients' admission forms, 1918-1919; registers of operations, 1947-2001; private wards treatment books, 1951-1952; register of notification of tuberculosis, 1966-1974; register of infectious diseases, 1974-1977.

STAFF RECORDS : staff engagement forms, 1948-1979.

MISCELLANEOUS : letters of appreciation, 1961-1969; scrapbook, 1881-1936; press cuttings, 1957-1966, 1977-1978; photographs, c.1914-1983; rules, 1884, 1946; centenary leaflet, 1985; miscellaneous, 1917-1984.
Date1881-1985
SubjectHealth services
RepositoryBerkshire Record Office (code: GB 005)
LevelFonds
Extent81 vols, 32 bdls, 1 file, 7 docs, 3 items
Admin HistoryNewbury District Hospital was built in 1884 in Andover Road, Newbury, to meet the medical needs of the people of Newbury and Newbury Rural District following the closure of the Nurses Home and Navvy Hospital in Bartholomew Terrace.
The hospital originally housed 12 patients, but various additions were made from 1894 onwards, with a major building programme in 1936-7.
In 1948 the hospital was taken over by the newly formed National Health Service, although it continued to accept private patients.
It closed in 2004 and was replaced by West Berkshire Community Hospital [for records of which see P/HA7.]
AcquisitionDeposited in November 1995 (acc.5697); March 2004 (acc. 7356); January 2012 (acc. 8945); November 2013 (acc. 9317)

Schedule of accessions
Acc. 5697: 1/1; 2/1-2; 3/1-5; 4/1-4; 5/1; 6/1-14; 7/1; 8/1-4; 9/1-2; 10/1-12; 11/1-2; 12/1-3; 13/1-2; 14/1; 15/1; 16/1-6; 17/1/1-10; 17/2/1; 17/3/4; 18/1-11
Acc. 7356 : 10/13-26; 12/4-24; 19/1
Acc. 8945: 5/2; 17/1/11-13; 17/3/1-3; 20/1-2
Acc. 9317: 8/5
Related MaterialRecords in other collections
P/HA7: Miscellaneous records, 1884-2004
D/EX 2232/1/1-14: Plans, 1953-1996
D/EX2458/1-3: Nurse's training records, 1949-1951
Access Conditions<head>Legal Status</head><legalstatus>Public</legalstatus>
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019