Catalogue ReferenceD/MS2
TitleRecords of Newbury Bartholomew Street Primitive Methodist Church
Description[For more information about the records in this collection please contact Berkshire Record Office.]

Summary

Society administration

Trustees' meeting minutes, 1921-1974; trust accounts, 1944-1945; letter relating to tenders for new church, 1877; regulations for seatholders, n.d. [c.1877]; leaders' meeting, annual society meeting, and occasional committee minutes, 1921-1971; collection records, 1892-1968; Poor fund accounts, 1902-1971.

Society organisations

Women's Own minutes, 1951-1971; Band of Hope attendance register, 1902-1921; Young People's Guild minutes and other papers, 1925-1940, with Youth Committee minutes, 1944-1946; Girls' Life Brigade log, 1930-1934; Autumn Bazaar and Christmas Fayre minutes and other papers, 1966-1972.

Service of the church

Order of civic service, 1940.

Registration

Marriage registers, 1931-1966.

Sunday School

Anniversary programmes and leaflets, 1883-1887; teachers' meeting minutes, 1933-1967, with financial statements and reports, 1954-1967; accounts, 1953-1968; registers and related papers, 1951-1967.

Printed material/Miscellaneous

Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1841; jubilee handbook, 1927, and annual synod handbook, 1928; "Bart. St." news sheets, 1944-1971 (incorporated in the Methodist Newsletter 1963-1969); article written at time of church's closure, 1971; photocopies of documents relating to the history of the church, n.d.; photographs, n.d. [20C]; programme of Easter play, 1953.
Date1841-1983
RepositoryBerkshire Record Office (code: GB 005)
LevelFonds
Extent32 vols, 33 bdls, 11 docs
Admin HistoryThis society dates back to the early 1830s when the adherents of Primitive Methodism first reached Berkshire. After the early open-air meetings and services held in local cottages and rented premises, the society bought Union Chapel in Union Court off Bartholomew Street in 1837, and moved into their newly-built Gothic church in 1877. The construction of this building, however, proved to be unsound. The roof was a constant source of trouble, and the church was declared unfit for use after the front gable collapsed in the early 1940s. Repairs were undertaken, but signs of movement detected in 1959 once again caused the church to be declared unsafe, and the hall to the rear was adapted and furnished for services to continue there. The church itself was demolished in 1962.

Attempts during the next ten years to find a new site on which to rebuild were in vain. There were also proposals to join up with other south Newbury societies in a new church. The need to sell the "Bart. St." site to finance a new building led eventually to an amalgamation with Stroud Green, begun in 1967 with the merger of the two Sunday Schools and then both societies' funds and membership. Morning services were held at Bart. St. and evening worship at Stroud Green, until finally the Bart. St. site was sold in 1971.

Bartholomew Street was the headquarters of the Newbury Primitive Methodist circuit until Methodist Union in 1937 (see D/MC 8, although few records survive). From 1937, it became part of the combined Newbury circuit (D/MC 9).

(See also D/EX 435/2 relating to Union Chapel; and Q/SO 14 p17 and Q/SO 15 p98 and p296 for registrations of religious meeting houses in Newbury. Apart from D/MS 2/8/1 below, no records survived at the church for the period up to 1877. Although Union Chapel had a burial ground, no burial records have been identified; see, however, MF 597 for burials of Newbury dissenters to 1837).
AcquisitionDeposited in July 1974 (acc. 1944 part); December 1977 (acc. 2271 part); March 1979 (acc. 2369 part); October 1981 (acc. 2938 part); June 1988 (acc. 4238 part); March 1992 (acc. 4975 part); July 1995 (acc. 5652 part); July 2007 (acc. 8072); July 2010 (acc. 8618); December 2015 (acc. 9744)

Schedule of accessions
Acc. 1944 (part): 1A/3; 2A/4; 7C/1; 8/2; 8/6/10; 8/23
Acc. 2271 (part): 5B/1-3
Acc. 2369 (part): 2A/5; 2B/3,5; 8/1, 3-5; 8/6/1-9, 11-12; 8/7-22
Acc. 2938 (part): 3D/1; 7A/2-5; 7B/1-7; 7C/2
Acc. 4238 (part): 1A/1,2,4; 1B/1-2; 2A/1-3; 2B/1,2,4; 3A/1; 3D/2-4; 4B/1; 7A/1
Acc. 4975 (part): 1A/5; 1D/1; 3C/1-2
Acc. 5652 (part): 7A/6
Acc. 8072: 8/24
Acc. 8618: 1C/1-2; 8/25-30
Acc. 9744: 8/31
ArrangementClassification scheme for Methodist society (chapel or church) records

[This scheme shows how the collection is arranged. This collection does not include every type of record in the scheme. See the summary for records included in this collection.]

1 Trustees
1A Trustees' meeting minutes
1B Trust accounts
1C Chapel property [deeds, certificates, licences, appointments of trustees]
1D Correspondence
1E Related committees
1F Other property [eg manse, hall, school]
1G Other

2 Leaders and society stewards/Church Council)
2A Leaders' meeting/Church Council minutes
2B Accounts
2C Committees
2D Correspondence
2E Other

3 Society organisations
3A Women's groups [except Women's Work
3B Men's groups
3C Joint fellowship [except Sunday Institute]
3D Youth organisations [except Sunday School]
3E Missions [including Women's Work]
3F Other

4 Service of the church
4A Pulpit notices
4B Orders of service
4C Ministers' papers
4D Other

5 Registration
5A Baptism
5B Marriage
5C Burial

6 Membership
6A Registers, class books and directories
6B Young disciples
6C Other

7 Sunday School and Sunday Institute
7A Sunday School minutes and accounts
7B Sunday School registers and cradle rolls
7C Other Sunday School records
7D Sunday Institute

8 Printed material/Miscellaneous
Related MaterialRecords in other collections

D/MC 8/7A/1: Baptism register, 1831-1869 (MF 10377)

D/MC 8/7A/2: Baptism register, 1852-1880 (MF 10378)

D/MC 8/7A/3: Baptism register, 1877-1920 (MF 10379)

D/MC 8/7A/4: Baptism register, 1917-1957 (MF 10380)

D/MC 9/7A/2: Baptism register, 1952-1977 (MF 10382)

D/MS 15/1C/2: Plans of proposed new church, 1967

D/MS 15/3D/6: Youth Club accounts, 1962-1970s

D/MS 15/8/1: Newsletters, 1970-1972
Access ConditionsWith the exception of registers of baptism, marriage and burial, and other material whose contents have been made public, records of the Methodist Church are closed for 30 years, and pastoral records for 75 years, in accordance with Methodist Church standing orders.

Applications for access to closed records must be made in writing to the County Archivist.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019