Catalogue ReferenceD/MS48
TitleRecords of Burberry Hall (later St Mark's) Methodist Church, Maidenhead
Description[For more information about the records in this collection please contact Berkshire Record Office.]

Summary

Society administration
Trustees' meeting minutes, 1934-1955; trust accounts, 1934-1972, and annual statements, 1954, 1966-1976; plan and papers re new church, 1951; plans and papers re extension, 1975-1979; appointments of new trustees (St Mark's), 1944-1969; quinquennial inspection report, 2010; property miscellaneous, 1951-1971; commission (re school hall proposals) reports, 1954; manse trustees' minutes, 1939-1976; appointments of new trustees (manse), 1945-1970; leaders' meeting minutes, 1953-1966; annual society meeting minutes, 1954-1963; steward's accounts, 1964-1975; annual statements, 1974-1977; list of names in Envelope Scheme, 1978; finance committee minutes, 1975-1984; manse committee minutes and reports, 1978, 1982; annual reports, 1989/90-1999/2000 (incomplete).

Society organisations
Ladies' committee minutes, 1950-1954, annual reports, 1954-1955, and history, 1958; Women's Fellowship committee minutes, 1955; Methodist Missionary Society branch accounts, 1958-1983.

Service of the church
Order of service for new window and car park, 1961.

Printed material/Miscellaneous
Photographs of church interior, 1978; press cutting, 1979.
Date1934-2010
RepositoryBerkshire Record Office (code: GB 005)
LevelFonds
Extent8 vols, 25 bdls, 8 docs
Admin HistoryBurberry Hall, St Mark's Road, Maidenhead, opened as an interdenominational mission in 1914. It was taken over by the Methodists in 1934, and a society formed. It ceased to be used by the Methodists in 1957.

In 1953 the Burberry Hall society built St Mark's Church, St Mark's Crescent, Maidenhead. By the 1990s it was known as St Mark's Crescent Methodist Church.
AcquisitionDeposited in June 1988 (acc. 4239 part); June 1994 (acc. 5443 part); December 1997 (acc. 6145 part); April 2004 (acc. 7399); July 2006 (acc. 7854); November 2013 (acc. 9309); November 2018 (acc. 10402)

Schedule of accessions
Acc. 4239 (part): 1A/1; 1B/2, 4; 1C/8-9; 1E/1; 1F/1; 1G/1; 2B/2-3; 2C/2
Acc. 5443 (part): 1B/1, 3; 1C/1-7; 2A/1; 2B/1; 2C/1; 2E/1-3; 3A/1-3; 3E/1
Acc. 6145 (part): 4B/1; 8/1
Acc. 7399: 1C/10-11; 1F/2; 8/2
Acc. 7854: 2E/4
Acc. 9309: 1C/12-13; 1D/1
Acc. 10402: 2E/5
ArrangementClassification scheme for Methodist society (chapel or church) records

[This scheme shows how the collection is arranged. This collection does not include every type of record in the scheme. See the summary for records included in this collection.]

1 Trustees
1A Trustees' meeting minutes
1B Trust accounts
1C Chapel property [deeds, certificates, licences, appointments of trustees]
1D Correspondence
1E Related committees
1F Other property [eg manse, hall, school]
1G Other

2 Leaders and society stewards/Church Council)
2A Leaders' meeting/Church Council minutes
2B Accounts
2C Committees
2D Correspondence
2E Other

3 Society organisations
3A Women's groups [except Women's Work
3B Men's groups
3C Joint fellowship [except Sunday Institute]
3D Youth organisations [except Sunday School]
3E Missions [including Women's Work]
3F Other

4 Service of the church
4A Pulpit notices
4B Orders of service
4C Ministers' papers
4D Other

5 Registration
5A Baptism
5B Marriage
5C Burial

6 Membership
6A Registers, class books and directories
6B Young disciples
6C Other

7 Sunday School and Sunday Institute
7A Sunday School minutes and accounts
7B Sunday School registers and cradle rolls
7C Other Sunday School records
7D Sunday Institute

8 Printed material/Miscellaneous
Related MaterialRecords in other collections

D/MC 17, 19: Circuit records

D/MS 10/1A/4: Trustees' meetings minutes, 1941-1944

D/MS 10/8/94, 97: Artist's impressions of Burberry Hall, c.1935, and St Mark's Crescent, c.1955.
Access ConditionsWith the exception of registers of baptism, marriage and burial, and other material whose contents have been made public, records of the Methodist Church are closed for 30 years, and pastoral records for 75 years, in accordance with Methodist Church standing orders.

Applications for access to closed records must be made in writing to the County Archivist.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019