Catalogue ReferenceD/MS54
TitleRecords of Bourne Memorial Methodist Church, Exbourne Road, Whitley, Reading
Description[For more information about the records in this collection please contact Berkshire Record Office.]


Society administration
Trustees' meeting minutes, 1948-1976; trust accounts, 1948-1974; property miscellaneous, 1948-1960; correspondence re opening of church, 1948; leaders' meeting minutes, 1951-1973; annual society meeting minutes, 1951-1973; Church Council minutes, 1974-1979; general church meeting minutes, 1974-1980; society accounts, 1948-1980; collection journals, 1948-1973; papers re proposed partnership with St Paul's and St Agnes' churches, 1964-1980.

Society organisations
Methodist Guild minutes, 1958-1959, correspondence, 1958, and syllabus, 1958-1959; Youth Management Committee minutes, 1954-1958, and bank pass book, 1960-1967; Youth Council minutes, 1960-1969.

Service of the church
Pulpit notices, 1948-1980; special orders of service, 1948, 1950; handbill for evangelistic services, [1969].

Baptism register, 1949-1979; marriage registers, 1952-1979.

Register of members, 1950-1967; membership rolls, 1968, 1975; young disciples' roll, 1952-1964.

Sunday School and Sunday Institute
Sunday School teachers' council minutes, 1951-1973; Sunday School bank pass book, 1967-1977.

Printed material/Miscellaneous
Souvenir brochure, 1948; anniversary report, 1949; Christmas Card Fund bank pass book, 1967-1975.
RepositoryBerkshire Record Office (code: GB 005)
Extent39 vols, 12 bdls, 6 docs
Admin HistoryBourne Methodist Church opened in 1948 to serve the Whitley housing estate. It was named after the early Primitive Methodist Hugh Bourne. The funds for the original building came from the sale of London Street Primitive Methodist Church (D/MS 59). The work was begun by Sister Dorothy Owns, a deaconess, who was in charge until 1954.

Ministerial oversight came from Whitley Hall Methodist Church, and later from Tadley.

Membership declined in the 1970s, and after attempts to unite with St Agnes' and St Paul's Anglican churches (D/P 177, 167) failed, Bourne closed in 1980.
AcquisitionDeposited in March 1981 (acc. 2622); October 1981 (acc. 2946 part); August 1988 (acc. 4269 part)

Schedule of accessions
Acc. 2622: 5B/1-2
Acc. 2946 (part): 1A/1; 1B/1-2; 1C/1-2; 1D/1; 2A/1-3; 2B/1-8; 2E/1; 3C/1-3; 3D/1-4; 4A/1-19; 4D/1; 5A/1; 6A/1; 6B/1; 7A/1-3; 8/1-3
Acc. 4269 (part): 4B/1
ArrangementClassification scheme for Methodist society (chapel or church) records

[This scheme shows how the collection is arranged. This collection does not include every type of record in the scheme. See the summary for records included in this collection.]

1 Trustees
1A Trustees' meeting minutes
1B Trust accounts
1C Chapel property [deeds, certificates, licences, appointments of trustees]
1D Correspondence
1E Related committees
1F Other property [eg manse, hall, school]
1G Other

2 Leaders and society stewards/Church Council)
2A Leaders' meeting/Church Council minutes
2B Accounts
2C Committees
2D Correspondence
2E Other

3 Society organisations
3A Women's groups [except Women's Work
3B Men's groups
3C Joint fellowship [except Sunday Institute]
3D Youth organisations [except Sunday School]
3E Missions [including Women's Work]
3F Other

4 Service of the church
4A Pulpit notices
4B Orders of service
4C Ministers' papers
4D Other

5 Registration
5A Baptism
5B Marriage
5C Burial

6 Membership
6A Registers, class books and directories
6B Young disciples
6C Other

7 Sunday School and Sunday Institute
7A Sunday School minutes and accounts
7B Sunday School registers and cradle rolls
7C Other Sunday School records
7D Sunday Institute

8 Printed material/Miscellaneous
Related MaterialRecords in other collections

D/MC 5: Circuit records

D/EX 987/18/7: Photograph of opening, 1948

D/EX 987/18/8-12: Anniversary programmes, 1949-1959
Access ConditionsWith the exception of registers of baptism, marriage and burial, and other material whose contents have been made public, records of the Methodist Church are closed for 30 years, and pastoral records for 75 years, in accordance with Methodist Church standing orders.

Applications for access to closed records must be made in writing to the County Archivist.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021