Catalogue ReferenceD/N1
TitleRecords of Trinity Church (formerly Abingdon Presbyterian, Independent, Congregational and United Reformed Church), Abingdon,
Description[For more information about the records in this collection please contact Berkshire Record Office.]

Summary

CHURCH ADMINISTRATION: church book, 1821-1884; church meeting minutes, 1841-1978; correspondence, 1894-1978; papers presented to church meetings, 1957-1992; meetings attendance book, 1958-1977.

DEACONS: minutes, 1912-1944, 1956-1971.

ELDERS: minutes, 1973-1978.

COMMITTEES: Building Committee minutes, 1861-1862; South Abingdon Committee minutes, 1967, and papers, 1966-1969; renovation committee minutes and papers, 1893-1895; Finance (later Finance and Property) Committee minutes, 1974-1993, and correspondence, 1973-1993.

TREASURER: accounts, 1715-1721, 1779-1780, 1913-1919, 1963-1974; annual statements of accounts, 1978/9-1991/2 (incomplete); offertory accounts, 1926-1944, 1965-1979; correspondence, 1972-1977.

PROPERTY: trustees’ minutes, 1901-1905; deeds of church site, 1416-1903, minister’s house, Ock Street, 1734-1779, land in Spring Road, 1860-1914, land in Sutton Courtenay 1559/60-1861, land in Drayton, 1651, land in Oxfordshire, 1652-1692; fabric papers, 1700-1989, including floor plan, 1700; papers re manse, 1954-1985, and 76-80 Spring Road, 1959-1980; accounts, 1852-1892, 1917-1924; fabric papers for Trinity site, Conduit Road, 1980-1999; papers relating to church hall, 1983-1989.

CHURCH ORGANISATIONS: Sunday School: teachers’ meetings, 1860-1899; accounts, 1890-1897; membership attendance registers, 1963-1995; miscellaneous, 1890-1910, 1959-1976.
Contact Club: papers, 1957-1960.
Youth Club: papers, 1957-1959.
Library: papers, c.1960-1967.
Trinity Guild: minutes, 1984-1998; register of members, 1965-1995; annual statements of accounts, 1964-1997; programmes, 1964-1996.
Trinity Play Group: photographs, 1985.

REGISTRATION AND MEMBERSHIP: baptisms, 1780-1844, 1909-1976; marriages, 1900-1968; burials, c.1787-1853; membership registers, c.1841-1884, 1917-1978; cradle roll, 1952-1965; certificates registering chapel for marriages, 1840, 1862; membership transfer papers, 1854-1912, 1970-1978.

SERVICE OF THE CHURCH: service registers, 1970-1977; orders of service, 1968, 1971; church covenant, c.1930-1963.

MINISTER: correspondence, 1892-1919, 1953-1964; photographs, n.d. [c.1845-1925].

CHARITIES: Richard Belcher’s charity: will, 1715; deeds, 1590-1851; accounts, 1855-1903; trustees’ minutes, 1905-1911; and papers, 1868, 1884-1907, 1933-1935, 1952-1978.
Thomas Copeland’s charity: accounts, 1865-1885.
Heron, Hide, Payne and Farmer bequests: deeds and papers, 1704-1727, 1767-1827; accounts, 1855-1885.
John Lissett’s charity: probate, 1712.
Edward Pearson’s charity: deeds, 1737, 1837; accounts, 1855-1904.
Payne and Baker charity: accounts, 1862-1892.
Joseph Fletcher’s charities: accounts, 1868-1886.

PUBLICATIONS: Magazines, 1918, 1950-1978; yearbooks, 1900-1908, 1958-1959; Two Centuries Young (church history), 1900.

OTHER BODIES : papers re merger with Trinity Methodist Church, 1967-1983; Free Church Federal Council committee minutes, 1953-1958; Abingdon and District Council of Churches minutes, 1973-1977; Berks, South Oxon and South Bucks Association of Independent Ministers and Churches (later BSOSB Congregational Union) papers, 1895-1919.

MISCELLANEOUS: notes on church history; photographs, 1990s.
Date1416-1999
RepositoryBerkshire Record Office (code: GB 005)
LevelFonds
Extent43vols, 157 bdls, 4 files, 68 docs, 1 roll
Admin HistoryThe Congregational Church at Abingdon originated in a Presbyterian congregation which met at Tubney, before moving to Abingdon in 1669.
The meeting house was erected in 1700. A popular but ill-founded legend identified the pillars holding up the roof with the masts of the Mayflower; an older (but still unproven) legend instead said they came from the ship which brought William of Orange to England in 1688.

By the 1770s the church was identified as Independent rather than Presbyterian, and between 1799 and 1807 it became Congregational.
Daughter churches existed at Sutton Courtenay (est. 1787, see D/N 20), Steventon (1787), Drayton (1797), Tubney (1797) and Fyfield. A Sunday School was established in 1808. The church was rebuilt in 1862.

The church joined the United Reformed Church in 1972. The congregation began to share worship at Trinity Methodist Church in 1968, vacating the original church building, which was sold in 1980. A formal Sharing Agreement between the Methodist and the URC congregations was signed in 1978 and amended in 1982.

Pre-1978 records relating to the Methodist Church are held at Oxfordshire History Centre. Records of the united church have been retained in this collection (D/N1).
AcquisitionDeposited in September 1955 (acc.668 part), in October 1962 (acc.890), in December 1991 (acc.4910 part), in March 1996 (acc. 5786); March 2015 (acc. 9590)

Schedule of accessions
Acc. 668: 5/1/1-2, 8; 5/3/1, 4; 6/1/1; 6/2/1-2, 4; 6/2/5/1-28; 6/2/6/1-3, 5-13; 6/2/8-15; 6/3/2/9-12; 6/3/3; 7/1/4; 8/3/3; 11/2/1-16, 20-24; 11/3/1; 11/4/1-5; 11/5/1; 11/6/1; 11/7/1-3; 11/8/2-3; 11/9/1, 4-6; 14/2-3
Acc. 890: 14/1
Acc. 4910: 1/1/1; 1/2/1-6; 1/3/1-5; 1/4/1-3; 1/5/1-3: 2/1/1-4; 2/2/1-2; 4/1/1; 4/2/1-3; 5/1/3-7, 9; 5/2/1-4; 5/3/2-3, 5-6; 6/2/3; 6/2/5/29-36; 6/2/6/4; 6/2/7; 6/3/1; 6/3/2/1-8, 13-15; 6/3/4-22; 6/4/1-4; 6/5/1; 7/1/1-3, 5-12; 7/2/1; 7/3/1; 7/4/1; 7/5/1; 7/6/1-2; 8/1/1-2; 8/2/1-3; 8/3/1-2, 4-8; 9/1/1; 9/2/2-3; 9/3/1-5; 10/1-9; 11/1/1-2; 11/2/17-19, 25-28; 11/8/1; 11/9/2-3; 12/1/1-6; 12/2/1-7; 13/1/1-5; 13/2/1; 13/3/1-2; 13/4/1; 14/4-21
Acc. 5786: 6/3/23
Acc. 9590: 1/4/4; 4/1/2; 4/2/4-5; 5/2/5; 6/3/24-37; 7/1/13-16; 7/7/1-9; 7/8/1; 8/1/3-4; 11/2/29; 13/1/6-7; 14/22-24
ArrangementConcordance

The documents deposited in September 1955 (acc.668) were formerly catalogued according to the following system:-

Former reference Present reference

1/1 11/2/1
1/2 11/7/1
1/3 Withdrawn
2/1 6/2/1; 11/2/7/3-4,15
2/2 6/2/2; part of bundle withdrawn, re-deposited as part of acc.4910 and catalogued as 6/2/3/1-11
2/3 6/2/4
2/4 Withdrawn (re-deposited and catalogued as 6/2/5/29-36)
2/5 6/2/5/1-28
2/6 6/2/8
2/7 6/2/9
2/8 6/2/6/1-3, 5-13
2/9 11/2/2 pt
2/10 11/2/8
2/11 11/2/6
2/12 11/2/5
2/13 11/2/9
2/14 11/2/4; 11/2/7/1-2, 5-14, 16-23
2/15 11/2/2 pt
2/16 11/2/10
2/17 11/2/13
2/18 11/2/12
2/19 11/2/14
2/20 11/2/11
2/21 6/2/11
2/22 6/2/12
2/23 6/2/10
2/24 6/2/13
2/25 See D/N 20
2/26 See D/N 20
2/27 11/9/1
2/28 6/2/14
2/29 11/2/15
2/30 6/2/15
3/1 6/1/1
4/1 11/4/1-4
4/2 11/3/1
4/3 11/2/20
4/4 11/2/21/1-5
4/5 11/2/21/6-7
4/6 11/5/1
4/7 11/2/22; (1 doc withdrawn)
4/8 11/2/16; 11/4/5; 11/6/1; 11/7/2-3
4/9 11/8/2; 11/9/5
5/1 5/1/1
5/2 5/3/1
5/3 5/1/2
5/4 See D/N 20
5/5 See D/N 20
5/6 11/2/23
5/7 11/9/4
5/8 7/1/5
5/9 7/1/4
5/10 6/3/2/9-12
5/11 5/1/8
5/12 5/3/4
5/13 11/2/24; 11/8/3; 11/9/6
5/14 6/3/3
6/1 8/3/3
7/1 14/1


Classification scheme: Non-conformist churches

[This scheme shows how the collection is arranged. This collection does not include every type of record in the scheme. See the summary for records included in this collection.]

1 Church administration
1/1 Church book
1/2 Church meeting minutes
1/3 General correspondence & administrative files
1/4 Papers presented to Church meeting
1/5 Miscellaneous

2 Deacons
2/1 Minutes
2/2 Miscellaneous

3 Elders
3/1 Minutes
3/2 Miscellaneous

4 Committees
4/1 Minutes
4/2 Miscellaneous

5 Treasurer
5/1 Accounts
5/2 Statements of accounts
5/3 Miscellaneous

6 Property records
6/1 Trustees minutes
6/2 Title deeds
6/3 Fabric papers
6/4 Accounts
6/5 Miscellaneous

7 Church Organisations
7/1 Sunday School
7/2 Others

8 Registration and membership
8/1 Registers
8/2 Membership registers and lists
8/3 Miscellaneous

9 Service of the Church
9/1 Service registers
9/2 Orders of service
9/3 Miscellaneous

10 Minister

11 Charities
11/1 General or united charities
11/2 Specific named charities

12 Publications
12/1 Magazines
12/2 Miscellaneous

13 Other bodies

14 Miscellaneous
Related MaterialRegisters held at Public Record Office (including BRO microfilm reference)

Baptisms, 1723-1729 (MF595)
Baptisms, 1777-1807 (MF594)
Births and baptisms, 1799-1837 (MF594)
Burials, 1729-1740 (MF595)
Deaths and burials, 1787,1795,1806 (MF594)
Burials, 1787-1836 (MF594)

The Registers on MF 595 describe the church as Abingdon Presbyterian, those on MF 594 as Abingdon Independent Upper Meeting House, but both refer to the same congregation.
Places
CodeSet
NA1Abingdon
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019