Catalogue ReferenceD/N13
TitleRecords of Twyford Congregational (later United Reformed) Church
Description[For more information about the records in this collection please contact Berkshire Record Office.]

Summary

CHURCH ADMINISTRATION : church books, 1809-1846, 1860-1951; church meeting minutes, 1922-1992; reports presented to church meetings, 1975-1992.

DEACONS : minutes, 1931-1972.

ELDERS : minutes, 1976-1999.

COMMITTEES : finance committee minutes, 1873; finance and fabric committee minutes, 1975, and report on new manse proposals, 1968; hall committee minutes, 1947-1964, accounts, 1933-1962 (incomplete), and papers, 1935-1954; bazaar committee minutes, 1970; Ginger Group reports, 1986.

TREASURER : communion accounts, 1838-1843, 1862-1867; collection accounts, 1897; general accounts, 1898-1916; day book, 1946-1953; cash books, 1952-1991; ledgers, 1956-1989; envelope offering accounts, 1938-1953.

PROPERTY RECORDS : trustees' meeting minutes, 1897-1899; transcripts of deeds of chapel, 1889, 1891; bills for building new church, 1898, and repairs, 1949-1951; papers re. organ, 1936-1951; papers re. transfer of trust, 1940-1941; letter re purchase of site for manse, 1949.

CHURCH ORGANISATIONS : Sunday School : attendance registers, 1892-1915; accounts, 1927-1949; proposals for reorganisation of Junior Church, 1982; miscellaneous, 1952.
Girls Brigade : scrapbooks, 1952-1992.
London Missionary Society auxiliary branch : statement of contributions, 1954.

REGISTRATION AND MEMBERSHIP : registers of baptisms, 1812-1821, 1836-1846, 1861-1873, 1883-1888, 1898, 1905-1924; informal register of marriages, 1918-1925, 1948-1951; register of burials, 1912-1914, 1925-1927, 1949; registers and lists of members, 1810-1820, 1838-1845, 1860-c.1948.

SERVICE OF THE CHURCH : list and register of services, 1860-1887 (incomplete); church covenant, 1809; registers of communicants, 1863-1866, 1884-1896, 1922-1926; certificates of registration of church as a place of worship, 1899, and for marriages, 1913.

MINISTER : letter of resignation, 1947; letters re call of minister, 1967-1968.

PUBLICATIONS : history of church, 1985.


Concordance

The following documents have been recatalogued:

Old Reference - New reference

D/N 13/1 - D/N 13/1/1/1
D/N 13/2 - D/N 13/1/1/2
D/N 13/3 - D/N 13/1/1/3
D/N 13/4 - D/N 13/1/1/4
D/N 13/5 - D/N 13/1/2/1; 6/5/3; 10/1
D/N 13/6 - D/N 13/2/1/1
D/N 13/7 - D/N 13/2/1/2
D/N 13/7A - D/N 13/4/2/4
D/N 13/8 - D/N 13/2/1/3
D/N 13/9 - D/N 13/2/1/4
D/N 13/10 - D/N 13/9/3/1
D/N 13/11 - D/N 13/7/1/1
D/N 13/12 - D/N 13/7/1/2
D/N 13/13 - D/N 13/7/1/3
D/N 13/14 - D/N 13/5/1/1
D/N 13/15 - D/N 13/5/1/2
D/N 13/15A - D/N 13/6/3/1; 7/1/5
D/N 13/16 - D/N 13/5/1/10
D/N 13/17 - D/N 13/7/1/4
D/N 13/18 - D/N 13/4/1/2
D/N 13/19 - D/N 13/12/2/1
D/N 13/20 - D/N 13/4/2/1-3, 5
D/N 13/21 - D/N 13/6/5/1
D/N 13/22 - D/N 13/6/5/2
D/N 13/23 - D/N 13/4/2/6
D/N 13/24 - D/N 13/7/3/1
Date1809-1999
RepositoryBerkshire Record Office (code: GB 005)
LevelFonds
Extent36 vols, 15 bdls, 9 docs
Admin HistoryIndependent worship began in a barn in Twyford in 1797, as a result of the efforts of Reading Evangelical Society. A chapel was built in 1804. There was a subsidiary meeting in Hurst fl. 1817-1818. The church appears to have been largely dormant, c.1821-1836.

Throughout the 19th century, it was a branch of Broad Street Independent (later Congregational) Church (see D/N 11), although from 1858 to 1892 the preachers were taken from New College, London. The church was formally constituted in 1838.

In 1869 a new iron chapel was opened for worship, the existing building being retained as a Sunday School. A completely new church was built in 1897. From c.1965 the church shared a minister with Woodley Congregational Church (D/N 14). It joined the United Reformed Church in 1972.

For further information, see D/N13/12/2/1 and W H Summers, History of Berkshire, South Bucks, and South Oxon Congregational Churches (1905).
AcquisitionDeposited in May 1986 (acc. 3822); December 1987 (acc. 4130); October 2003 (acc. 7277)

Schedule of accessions
Acc. 3822: 1/1/1-4; 1/2/1; 2/1/1-4; 4/1/2; 4/2/4; 5/1/1-2, 10; 5/2/1; 6/3/1; 6/5/3; 7/1/1-5; 9/3/1; 10/1; 12/2/1
Acc. 4130: 4/2/1-3, 5-6; 6/5/1-2; 7/3/1
Acc. 7277: 1/2/2-9; 1/4/1; 3/1/2-5; 4/1/1, 3; 4/2/7-8; 5/1/3-9; 7/1/6; 7/2/1-2; 10/2
ArrangementClassification scheme: Non-conformist churches

[This scheme shows how the collection is arranged. This collection does not include every type of record in the scheme. See the summary for records included in this collection.]

1 Church administration
1/1 Church book
1/2 Church meeting minutes
1/3 General correspondence & administrative files
1/4 Papers presented to Church meeting
1/5 Miscellaneous

2 Deacons
2/1 Minutes
2/2 Miscellaneous

3 Elders
3/1 Minutes
3/2 Miscellaneous

4 Committees
4/1 Minutes
4/2 Miscellaneous

5 Treasurer
5/1 Accounts
5/2 Statements of accounts
5/3 Miscellaneous

6 Property records
6/1 Trustees minutes
6/2 Title deeds
6/3 Fabric papers
6/4 Accounts
6/5 Miscellaneous

7 Church Organisations
7/1 Sunday School
7/2 Others

8 Registration and membership
8/1 Registers
8/2 Membership registers and lists
8/3 Miscellaneous

9 Service of the Church
9/1 Service registers
9/2 Orders of service
9/3 Miscellaneous

10 Minister

11 Charities
11/1 General or united charities
11/2 Specific named charities

12 Publications
12/1 Magazines
12/2 Miscellaneous

13 Other bodies

14 Miscellaneous
Related MaterialRecords in other collections

D/N 25/1/2/1: Correspondence with B.S.O.S.B. Congregational Union, 1950

D/P 73B/28A/55?: Church magazines, 2000?

D/EX 2006/2: Mortgage of chapel, 1854.

D/N 53/12/1/14-26: Church magazines, 1969-1981.

D/N 53/13/1/1: Park, Twyford and Woodley Group Council, Diaconate and Elders' minutes, 1963-1979.

D/N 53/13/1/2: Order of service: ordination of minister, 1963.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019