Catalogue ReferenceD/N36
TitleRecords of Maidenhead Free Church Council

MINUTES : 1892-1921

ACCOUNTS : statements of acounts, 1892, 1894/5, 1899/1900, 1917

ANNUAL REPORTS : 1893/4, 1899/1900-c.1902, 1916/17-1920

MISCELLANEOUS : programmes and handbills, 1891-1898; history of council, 1943
RepositoryBerkshire Record Office (code: GB 005)
Extent2 vols, 4 bdls, 2 docs
Admin HistoryThe Council was founded as the Maidenhead Nonconformist Council in December 1891 by the Congregational (see D/N 33), Wesleyan Methodist, Primitive Methodist and Baptist churches of Maidenhead; the strict Baptist congregation meeting at York Road, Maidenhead, declined to join, but were invited to join in particular events.

In 1897 the Council's name was changed to the Maidenhead and District Free Church Council, and membership was extended to the churches of the Fifield Village Mission at Fifield, Bray, and at White Waltham, and to the daughter churches of the Maidenhead members, consisting in 1897 of Burnham and Cores End Congregational Churches; Wesleyan Methodists meeting at Cookham Rise, Lent Rise, Littlewick and Holyport; Primitive Methodists meeting at Cookham Dean and Cox Green; and a daughter-church of Maidenhead Baptist Church, Marlow Road, at Boyn Hill.

A change of constitution in 1906 opened membership to evangelical free churches in Maidenhead and Burnham, and to their daughter-churches in the surrounding area.

The Council seems to have collapsed c.December 1921, following the withdrawal in March of the Baptist members.
AcquisitionDeposited in April 1997 (acc. 6013)

Schedule of accessions
Acc. 6013: 1/1-3; 2/1-3; 3/1-2
Related MaterialRecords in other collections

D/N33/12/1/1: Maidenhead Free Church Council msgsxine, 2893.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021