Catalogue ReferenceR/D128
TitleJohn Powell and Son, Dispensing Chemist
Date1847-c.1910s
RepositoryBerkshire Record Office (code: GB 005)
LevelSub-Sub-Fonds
Extent7 vols, 1 bdl, 3 docs
Admin HistoryJohn Powell first appeared in the 1871 Census living at 57 and 58 St Mary’s Butts with his wife, Elizabeth, described as a dispensing chemist. This is confirmed by the rate books for Reading. Before the Powells worked in the dispensary at St Mary’s Butts, another pharmaceutical chemist lived and worked there: in 1861, George Slayter was a druggist at St Mary’s Butts. John Powell passed the business on to his son, also called John, who is recorded in the 1891 Census in St Mary’s Butts with his family, a servant and an assistant, Archibald Hunt. Powell and Son sold a variety of products for human use and for animals, and in 1947 a dentist’s surgery was opened by Mr M Powell at 60 St Mary’s Butts. Powell and Son continued until 1970.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019