Catalogue ReferenceR/D154
TitleEstate papers of Captain John Liebenrood
DescriptionThe papers consist for the most part of Captain Liebenrood's correspondence with Mr Cooper, deeds, tenancy agreements, plans, and documents relating to the sale of timber, feed and property. Original bundles have been retained, many of which were of a miscellaneous nature.
Date1864-1905
RepositoryBerkshire Record Office (code: GB 005)
LevelSub-Sub-Fonds
Extent3 vols, 37 bdls, 25 docs
Admin HistoryCaptain John Liebenrood RN inherited Prospect Hill Park from his kinswoman Miss Lucy Liebenrood in 1868, along with property adjoining at Grovelands and in nearby Kentwood Common. Before 1882 the house and park were leased to William Banbury (1864-1878) and subsequently to John Dixon (1878-1879). The names of the tenants (if any) between 1879 and 1882 is not known, but after this date Captain Liebenrood took up residence, having first failed to find a buyer for the estate. The estate was managed by the land agents John Omer Cooper and Son both before and after 1882.

Captain Liebenrood died in 1884 and the estate passed in trust first to his widow and then (c.1888-1889) to his son Major Englebert Liebenrood. In 1891 part of the estate was sold for development . The house and grounds however remained with Major Liebenrood until his death in 1900. The following year they were sold to Joseph Charles Fidler who in turn sold what is today Prospect Park to Reading Corporation.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019