Catalogue ReferenceR/D69
TitleRedlands Estate Company and Spokes family papers
RepositoryBerkshire Record Office (code: GB 005)
Extent4 vols, 20 bdls, 27 docs
Admin History[The Redlands Estate Company Ltd was a Joint Stock Company formed in 1865 to purchase and develop the Redlands Farm Estate, Reading, together with other property. The parties were led by the banker John Simonds, who held just over one third of the shares. the estate comprised 11 a. land sold to the new company by Sir Peter Spokes of Lower Redlands, Reading, who had purchased it from the trustees of the estate of Lord Sidmouth, and was a director of the new company. For deeds of the estate, 1700-1738, see R/D40/1. The area was south of London Road, and was bounded on the west by Red Lane (later Redlands Road), although it excluded the site of the Royal Berkshire Hospital. the development included most or all of Addington Road, Alexandra Road, Blenheim Road, Carnarvon Road, Craven Road, De Beauvoir Road, Donnington Road, Erleigh Road, Fox Hill Road, Hatherley Road and Junction Road. The company was dissolved in 1886, and its covenants became vested in Sir Peter.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020